Monday, September 05, 2005

Katrina By The Numbers

Over at Think Progress, they've taken a look at just how well the media has tackled the elephant in the room:

By the Numbers: In Katrina’s Wake, Race and Class Largely Ignored

“That’s the big elephant in the room: the race and economic class of most of the victims, which the media hasn’t discussed much at all.”– Jack Cafferty, CNN, 9/1/05

ThinkProgress has conducted a review of transcripts from the three major cable news networks over a full week — Saturday, Auguest 28 to Saturday, September 3 — for coverage of the race and class issues exposed in Katrina’s wake. The data demonstrates clearly that all three networks are still, to a greater or lesser extent, ignoring the “elephant in the room.”

The Findings, By the Numbers

Over at My Left Wing, teacherken has posted (crossposted at Kos) a diary about Katrina's effects on education and No Child Left Behind, based on an article at Huffington Post. This is a must-read:

Hurricane Katrina is being used to make schools “fail.” That is the only conclusion one can draw from the decision of Secretary Spellings that the children dislocated by Hurricane Katrina will still have to sit for the tests required under No Child Left Behind.

Look, Margaret Spellings is no more qualified than I am to be Secretary of Education but even I understand that these children's needs are greater than keeping NCLB on track. Apparently she feels more duty-bound to NCLB than to the children.

Jesse Lee over at DCCC catches Rep. Charles W. Boustany Jr. in a lie.

And Howard weighs in about the Estate Tax vote.

8 comments:

  1. Reposting from end of last thread:

    Get a load of Arkansas. Does this look like a model for what the Feds should be doing?

    http://www.kare.arkansas.gov/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe someone else can take a look and answer your questions, uinen. I did actually post about this blog a few different places, so hopefully we can get some more people stopping by.

    My son has been pretty intense about the injustice of homework, and I'm going a bit stir crazy. So I'm taking a break from serious stuff.

    Not sure how many people are familiar with The Llama Song. Now there's a takeoff on it--the Dalai Lama Song.

    And here's a Flash animation from Atom Films called "I can't afford my gasoline"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Renee,

    Ah, yes. The joys of homework. That's maybe the only upside to not having a family of my own, I don't have to help with and listen to moaning about homework.

    I'd like to add a link to this blog to DAFD. In return, though, there being no such thing as a frree lunch, please add a link to DAFD. Thanks!

    Disabled Americans for Democracy
    http://www.dafd.org/csl/

    ReplyDelete
  4. jax, love the name of your blog! Now JUST do it!! ♥s

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Jax! Ya know, I'm really glad Renee started this blog, so I don't have to go to the big blog except when I'm feeling strong.

    So, Tara threw you off now? I heard she "disciplined" Phil from IA a few weeks back - Phil from IA, for pity's sake! But, I haven't heard about her slapping wonderful Rocket Boy on the wrist. Talk about injustice!!!

    Anyway, glad you're around. Sounds like you have a lot of good idears. Hope they come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Puddles,

    I don't know how to make hearts. So:
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  7. uinen--I was actually getting ready to add that link to the blogroll (linked to your blog name), when the whole Blogrolling thingie started giving me fatal errors. Looks like I finally got it to work--will need to add it as a separate link in the general links section a little later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...
    New thread.

    ReplyDelete