Tuesday, September 06, 2005

It can get a little scary here in the shadows

JayDean gave me a heads-up in a previous thread that the individual who did more than anyone else I can think of to make this blog necessary is back at Blog for America after being absent for several days. Robert Oler. Yes, he tries my nerves. Yes, I sometimes lose my temper in response to him, and I hate when that happens, because I *know* he gloats about that, and I don't like giving him the satisfaction.

But on the other hand, I have to admit that, at least indirectly, he has served as an inspiration. Granted, sometimes he just inspires me to say "Bite me", but other times he really has inspired me to get off the blog and put a lot of thought into a post that I might not have written otherwise. And this blog--I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of creating it if he hadn't gotten on my last nerve.

Well, whatever the reason for creating it, it's *here* now, and I'm glad. Having played midwife in bringing this baby blog into the world, I'm looking forward to watching it grow up. I also look forward to being *one* of the people who helps raise it, but I hope to be one of a number of caregivers who offer a variety of perspectives. Because I really *do* think that the survival of this planet depends on our ability to learn to interact respectfully with each other, even when we disagree--to learn to coexist amicably on spaceship Earth.

Things won't get better if we all only hang out with people who agree with us. We need to step out of our comfort zones and have real dialog. The way I see it, there are only a few things we need to agree on to have such dialog...

-How we treat people always matters.

-Everything we do or say can have a ripple effect--for good or for bad. We need to maximize the good whenever possible, and minimize the bad.

-We, as humans, really can do better, but we need an approach that is different from "business as usual".

-Name-calling and mind-reading people who disagree with us is not helpful. Not just "not nice", but it only adds to the problem. We (I) need to spend more time trying to genuinely understand people, rather than labeling them or settling for interpretations of their worldviews that make us (me) feel superior but it harder to communicate productively with people who are (at the moment) "on the other side".

What's the scary part? Admitting we don't have all the answers, for one thing. Uncertainty is pretty unsettling. Feels so much more safe and reassuring when things are black and white, and you're sure that you're on the good side of the force. It's scary to admit we don't know everything, to "lose face", to explore the possibility that bad things are not only the responsibility of "evildoers" who we could easily pick out of a crowd. Accepting the very real possibility that the things we do, or don't do, play a role in creating some of the bad things we see in the world around us.

Acknowledging race issues, and talking about them, can be pretty scary too...which is why we often avoid those issues. This week, people have actually started talking about race and racism more openly. It's not easy, but it's necessary, and it's about time.

Race and Katrina: Starting a Discussion

the race card

12 comments:

  1. Hi Renee,

    Looks like Rocket Boy isn't the only troll around. Still, as I've said before, I'm very grateful you founded this blog. Don't know if I'll ever go back to the big blog.

    Good night, friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to Robert, we have a multiple personality troll. He or she re-emerged just recently.

    I had actually shut down my computer, but (silly me) I peeked at this blog on my phone and discovered *three* pieces of comment spam. That was going to bug me when I was trying to go to sleep, so I decided to just start the dang thing back up and delete the comments. And since I went to *that* effort, at least for now, I have changed the settings so that only registered users can post. That won't even stop all of the junk posts, but the other option is to turn on "word verification".

    http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1203

    I will have to think some more about how to handle this. Good night, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee,

    I have a suggestion for the future of this blog. You might want to grab a domain name and then point it here. Advertise the domain name rather than the blogger name.

    That way, if blogger.com happens to zap the blog at any future point, you will still be able to quickly have something else set up, and people will still be following the same link for no matter where the blog resides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many of the domain names I have, like "theblogfamily.com" are simply being forwarded to varioius folders on my "takeyourcountryback.com" website. But it is easy to forward them to anywhere if the need arise.

    I got several for under $10 a year at godaddy.com and they do the forwarding for free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rats, Renee. I do understand, but this way, without being able to blog as "other," there's no easy way to put clicky links in. Although having seen what a blog spammer can do to a comment thread, it sure is up to you. ♥s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, puddle, there is still an invitation to you to become a member of this blog--I think I even sent it a second time.

    Bottom line is that the the comment spam is coming fast and furious, and I really need more people capable of deleting it.

    jc, I saw your comment as well, but that will take more brainpower compost an answer to than I have at the moment.

    I did only say "for now" as far as the "members only" thing. It was one in the freaking morning and I'd turned my computer back on (takes a looong time to boot up) *just* to deal with that spam garbage. Felt like I had to do *something*.

    This morning I've changed it back to allow anyone to post, and I've turned on "word verification" just to show what it would be like. Please nobody start cursing me out for this--it's temporary and I can change it back later today if it's too much of a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renee,

    In case you read it that way, there was no intended criticism in my comment. I was simply responding to seashell about why she/he was unable to post, and was trying to help her/him figure out how to register.

    So, no need to spend energy to respond to that unless you want to, because I was simply trying to help someone else figure out how to post here.

    The domain thing is just a suggestion. It would be a shame to build a following here and then find the blog disappear like some of your others. It would just be insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking about this yesterday when I zapped a piece of comment spam. I have no problem with word verification as an interim measure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave,

    Don't get me to cursing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right now I'm transcribing the interview that included Barbara Bush's remarks, per the alternate link Tara posted last night. Almost done.

    As far as the word verification, I was wondering if that would be okay for uinen in particular, who as I recall has some level of visual impairment. So I'm thinking about accessibility issues in addition to whether or not it is a PITA for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. jc, what I meant was that I wasn't up to the detail it would take to address the issue of getting a domain. Some of it is complicated, and wanted to acknowledge your post without trying to write something that I know I'm not awake enough to adequately explain right now. The point is well taken, especially with the trouble I've had with Blogger in the past, and I'm thinking about an alternative that won't require registering a domain name.

    ReplyDelete