Sunday, September 04, 2005

"Abandoned by our own country..."

At 9:37 p.m., Tara Liloia posted "Abandoned by our own country..."

This morning on Meet the Press, host Tim Russert tried to play the part of the accusatory talking head, asking questions like, "Shouldn't the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of New Orleans bear some responsibility [for the outcome of Hurricane Katrina]?" Jefferson Parish President, Aaron Broussard countered Russert's question by recounting a horrific personal and emotional story which exemplifies the lack of quick aid to Hurricane Katrina survivors
Click for the rest.

Various links and stories of interest:

By Arianna Huffington: Are People Dying Over Here Because We're Fighting Them Over There?

In The Nation, by Katrina Vanden Heuvel
'Indifference Is a Weapon of Mass Destruction'

From the Columbus Free Press:
All Supreme Court appointments must be postponed by Harvey Wasserman

From the same author: Bush to New Orleans: Drop Dead

Diaries
Bush's Disastrous Response: A Timeline. by Rp
New Orleans paper tells Bush they're tired of lies and photo op by Sharon Jumper

We will not forget.

by: hyperbolic pants explosion

I made this because I needed to.

This is the unspeakable sadness of watching a city die. Of watching the gathered masses of our youngest, oldest, poorest, and most vulnerable, with their arms outstretched and pleading, wondering why yet another truck, boat, helicopter, and day has passed. Of the unbearable feeling of helplessness. Of the darkest feelings of shame for how far we've fallen short of our promise as a nation to lift up and care for all of our people.

I needed a way to vent, and now I'm sharing it with you. If you are moved by it, please continue to pass it on. Please host the files on your own servers if you're able (because this server will get hammered pretty hard otherwise). Just get it out there.


For anyone who didn't know this already, hyperbolic pants explosion is also known as cdmarine, and used to be a regular commenter on Blog for America.

Save the Estate Tax (w/flyer & Talking Points)
by: Malacandra

The President likes to talk about how 9/11 changed everything. So do congressional Republicans.

But it hasn't changed their thinking.

Republicans have continued to cut taxes for the wealthy, despite the new challenges we are facing as a nation since 9/11. As a result, we have record-breaking budget deficits. And the Republicans sound like a broken record... playing the same old tune: "More Tax Cuts".

The resulting massive debt will be passed on to our children... and their children.

Now they're trying to do it again. The Senate is about to vote on a permanent repeal of the estate tax, a tax that only applies to the wealthiest 2% of Americans. And nearly half of that tax is paid by the wealthiest 0.1%

(click for more)

Finally, the following is from the comments:

listener said:
UPDATE FROM JASON!
(Jason is a member of Americorps, St. Louis and a good friend of my son.)
~~~~~~
written Saturday ~

This is an update on Hurricane Katrina. As planned right now, we will leave tomorrow or Monday and I will be on a team of 7 heading to Baton Rouge, LA to aid in their Emergency Op Center.

Our team was working today with a company that is developing a badge system to track volunteers or those in need (perhaps to be used in a shelter, or at a disaster site). We have purchased this system and will be in part testing it during our time there.

When I receive more information I will do my best to let you know.

Sincerely,
Jason


To read more about what's happening within the Corporation for National and Community Service as regards Hurricane Katrina, go here.


To make a donation that will help Jason and the other members of Americorps, St. Louis, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Arianna and Howard are FIRST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quick of you, listener. ;-)

    Here I was, still adding to the post.

    I try, for the most part, to put these entries up when there is a new post on BFA, but it seems like those have been delayed lately. When the new one goes up, I will just add a link to it in this entry, rather than making a new one.

    With another post from Monisha on the main blog, it occurred to me to go find the picture Demetrius took of her and Quintus at Deanfest. Click. I had no idea who she was at the time, and didn't really get to talk to her, because that picture was taken when we *just* arrived, and I was really hungry and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://maxspeak.org/mt/archives/bathtub.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help! Are Listener and Shadow Listener different people? I'm mucho confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, listener. I'm glad it helped a bit. I really appreciate having things to "front page" here.

    I was thinking recently about how much time I've spent trying to find an "alternative" to Blog for America when the going gets rough there. Nothing ever seems to come close, although I meet a lot of great people on other blogs, and usually at least some of them are people I knew from BFA anyway.

    It is nice to be *able* to write diaries at places like My Left Wing, but I think my style always seems to gravitate more toward the free-flowing, open-thread sort of thing, so I think that's another reason I end up coming back to BFA. And I know some people have an even harder time getting used to the Scoop style format. It occurs to me that I'm glad to have set up this blog, even though the new softward is coming soon at BFA, because I think there are a number of people who will find something Scoop-like to be *less* user-friendly. It's just nice to have options.

    I'm still going to work on getting more help with this blog--especially once I'm working days again.

    Off to bed now...click for Dennis Kucinich's complete floor statement on Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. uinen--when she posts as shadowlistener, it means she has successfully logged in. When it says listener, she's posting as "other". Check the comments in the previous thread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi listener,

    Oops, sorry about the capitalization. Though I don't capitalize my own handle, largely because it's also my e-mail which is not capitalized, it's sort of second nature to capitalize other people's names. Can you tell I was an English major? LOL

    One of my kitties woke up from snoozing here in my study, and demanded that I put some food in the food dish. This proved very difficult, and pouring fresh water into the water dish even more so, because she kept walking between my hand (holding either the food container or the water pitcher) and the dish. She also kept rubbing against me, mewing excitedly, and looking up at me with her great big eyes. Eventually, I managed to fill the dishes and she had a nice snack. But, rreally, what a crazy little kitty! She does that same thing every time. Guess, like Snoopy, she finds meals and snacks joyous occasions. Her antics are most endearing, but they *do* make feeding her a trifle difficult.

    Just added a news feed from something called Smirking Chimp to DAFD. They look like good headlines, not too repetative with BuzzFlash. One of their commentators is calling for all Supreme Court nomenations to be suspended. I don't know how I feel aboout that. Must sleep on it.

    Good night, friends.

    ReplyDelete