Butterflies at the Kankakee Welcome Center
On a visit to see family in Chicago we stopped at the Kankakee Welcome Center and I thought the inside was pretty cool looking. Here is the view when you look up.
On a visit to see family in Chicago we stopped at the Kankakee Welcome Center and I thought the inside was pretty cool looking. Here is the view when you look up.
Posted by
Renee in Ohio
at
1:00:00 AM
Powered by Blogger. DownRight Blogger Theme v1.4 created by (© 2007) Thur Broeders
That is amazing! It reminds me of seeing hundreds of Monarchs resting by Lake Erie in 1979!
ReplyDeletevia The Other 98%:
ReplyDeleteMilo Yiannopoulos, the British commentator who spent years screaming for zero immigration and on-the-spot deportations, is sitting in a Louisiana ICE cell tonight because he overstayed his own visa.
He walked into the country legally in 2019 and never left.
When his immigration hearing came up in July, he didn't show. So a judge did the thing judges do when you skip your own hearing: signed a final order of removal, in absentia. On Thursday, ICE picked him up at the New Orleans airport.
You don't need a trial to get deported. Miss the hearing, and an immigration judge can order you gone with you nowhere in the room. Milo knew that. He wanted it that way.
Look at what this man actually wanted.
He wanted checkpoints at grocery stores and gas stations, and on-the-spot deportation for anyone who couldn't produce papers on demand. He wanted ten thousand people a day loaded onto planes. He wanted total immunity for the masked agents who do the grabbing, the same agents who've chased families through parking lots and shot American citizens in the street.
Last year, watching the machine warm up, he sneered, "What are they waiting for?"
This isn't a man who got caught in a cruel system by accident. He cheered for the cruelty. He wanted it total, he wanted it merciless, he wanted the people carrying it out to answer to no one.
He assumed the rules stopped at him.
That's the whole thing. One law, no exceptions, no mercy, was only ever supposed to point outward. The British guy with the expired visa and the loud mouth was supposed to be the one asking the questions, never the one staring blankly into the booking camera.
And no, this isn't a good day for ICE. ICE is exactly as ugly today as it was last week. It's that the man who wanted every migrant treated like garbage is now finding out what the chute feels like from the inside.
My favourite comments on this article:
Delete* Have the day you voted for.
*. We’re gonna need a smaller violin.
It is satisfying when the bastards get theirs.
DeleteThat's a remarkable window, or I should say dome.
ReplyDeleteJust came in from practicing driving my new electric wheelchair in the driveway. There are some moves I need to smooth out but, to my surprise and pleasure, dad said I'm coming along very well. We spent about twenty minutes, maybe more outside. It's a beautiful day to be out. I can't tell you the sense of freedom this chair gives me! Not to struggle to walk. Not to struggle to wheel the conventional chair. Just to move a joystick and go! It's marvelous!
ReplyDeleteIndoors is more problematic, of course; but, I don't really need it inside, only to make my way to the door. I'm tired, but exhilarated. And, though he'd never admit it, I think Dad's relieved.
DeleteCat, that sounds exhilarating. I love that it gives you a sense of freedom. Susan
DeleteWow! That joystick sure seems to be living up to its moniker! Go, Cat! Zoooooom!!
DeleteHad a rare attack of really bad insomnia last night. Messed up my whole schedule. I didn't get one bit of quilting done today, which really frustrates me as I have three different projects in the works. I did get my work done, just none of the stuff that makes me happy. Susan
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, Susan. Insomnia is the pits! And, to add insult to injury, it really messes up the next day and sometimes subsequent days as well. I hope you can sleep tonight.
DeleteOoooo, been there, Susan. You have my heartfelt commiseration.
DeleteI'm with Catreona, wishing you a much better sleep tonight.
Keep us posted.
Reading comments on a YouTube video, I came across the perfect description of Trump: "He looks like how mothballs taste."
ReplyDelete🤣👍
DeleteGosh. Youngest*Grand turned 7 on Saturday.
ReplyDelete