Monday, February 09, 2015

❄️ Snowflake Symposium! ❄️


Wilson ’Snowflake’ Bentley’s 150th Birthday Celebration

FEBRUARY 10 @ 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM  Jericho, Vermont

The Jericho Historical Society and its Bentley Museum are pleased to announce a Wilson “Snowflake” Bentley Symposium on the occasion of his 150th birthday anniversary to be held in the Jericho Elementary School Auditorium on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. Mark Breen, Meteorologist and Planetarium Director, Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium, and VPR’s “Eye on the Sky” weather personality, will moderate the Snowflake Bentley Symposium. The panelists will be Dr. Bruce Berryman, Professor of Atmospheric Science, Lyndon State College, Lyndonville, Paul Sisson, Science Operations Officer, National Weather Service, Burlington International Airport, and John Miller, Professor of Photography, Johnson State College. The distinguished Symposium Panel participants will discuss the seminal photographic and scientific contributions of Wilson A. Bentley to the Atmospheric Sciences and to the history of Photography. Following the discussion, the festivities will continue with the audience invited to share Bentley’s birthday cake. John Dunlop, cellist and Laura Markowitz, violinist, members of the Vermont Symphony Orchestra, who are Jericho residents, will provide appropriate period music. Please reserve the date for this unique and historical event to honor and to celebrate the achievements of this remarkable, scientifically independent, and humble Jericho citizen.  


8 comments:

  1. Howard Dean, who owns property in Snowflake Bentley's hometown, is First!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! There WILL be an early Spring this year!
    Instead of March 21st the Spring Equinox will be March 20th at 12:45pm EDT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you doing, Cat? Who does your snow removal? It might be time to call someone with equipment and have them remove a dump truck worth of snow from around your driveway…before the rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week Patty sent Peter over to plough us out, which was greatly appreciated. Today Dad was outside working most of the day, which didn't thrill the rest of us. He was grateful for Peter's help, but I seriously doubt he would agree to pay anyone. *sigh*

      Rod McKuen died a few days ago, on January Twenty-ninth I think it was, of pneumonia. I was saddened, since he's someone I admired as a poet/songwriter and as a person. He was very wise. But it was worse because I'd forgotten he was the same age as my dad, both born in 1933. It's sobering when someone the same age as your father dies.

      Delete
    2. I'm getting used to reading about the deaths of people *younger* than me (I was born in 1936). But hey! No skin off my nose if they want to check out early.

      Delete
  4. Currently reading another Dick Francis mystery, Wild Horses. I love his books! He was a brilliant writer. While I'm glad his son Felix has taken up Dick's pen, and though I'll continue to read Felix's efforts, there really is no comparison. Dick's prose sparkles and shimmers. He can describe an entire landscape in one exquisitely turned phrase. His insights into human nature are incisive yet his characterizations can also be very sympathetic. In riding scenes, especially race riding, he makes you the reader feel as though you're in the saddle - perhaps not surprising since he was a champion steeplechase jockey before becoming a novelist. I could go on and on in his praise.

    Felix is a competent, workmanlike writer. His books pass the time pleasantly, but they aren't memorable. I doubt I'll reread any of them again and again, as I do with Dick's. One would, of course, never dream of saying any of this to Felix. He is earnest and hardworking. And as I say I'll remain loyal. But the comedown is a bit sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stupidity and ineptitude never cease to amaze me. Sis helped me look up ipads on eBay, since I wanted an earlier model than the current one. For some reason she didn't go through and find one to buy, leaving that to me. Accordingly, I found one and bought it...failing to notice that it was marked "Access Locked." It arrived. Sis started to set it up for me and found it still keyed to the previous owner's log in info. I messaged him and received the reply that he couldn't remove his info; that was why he had sold it with the notice "Access Locked." He has my money in hand and, since it was my stupid fault for somehow or other not seeing that notice, I have no grounds for asking for it back I'll have to find and shell out for another. And meanwhile, I have absolutely no idear what to do with this useless one. I tell ya. What a loser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I understand. If this means it requires the previous owner's password, doesn't this mean he could give it to you? Or is the point that he has forgotten it?

      And there's probably some sort of hack to get in, if you could find somebody who understands the iOS operating system well enough.

      Delete