Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Strickland-Blackwell debate: Closing Remarks

The first of four scheduled debates between Ohio gubernatorial candidates Ted Strickland and Ken Blackwell took place at noon today, airing on the Ohio News Network and streaming live on WFMJ. It will air again on ONN tonight at 11 p.m.. Here are the candidates closing remarks...



Moderator: We now come to the last part of the debate, the closing remarks. Mr. Blackwell, you have two minutes.

Ken Blackwell: Thank you very much for this opportunity to speak to my fellow Ohioans. I've had the opportunity to live the American dream. That public housing community that I talked about at the beginning of these debates was a half mile away from City Hall. I sold peanuts inside and outside of Crosley Field. I went on to become the mayor of my hometown, and I now am a minority shareholder of the Cincinnati Reds. I've lived the American Dream, I've answered the question. My wife and I have worked very very hard over our lifetime, we've actually taken risks, risks with our own homes to start a business to produce jobs. I want more Ohioans to be able to live that American Dream.

Right now, too many of our young people believe that, in order to go up, they have to go out. I want to restore an option. I want to put an Ohio option back in their hands, where they know with confidence that if they exercise their options, they can find better education here in Ohio, they can, in fact, have health coverage. They can find a job, and elevated incomes. I think that that requires leadership, and leadership that has a record of accomplishment. I will compare, over the next 64 days, my record with that with Ted Strickland's, and I think that people will see that he is a get along to go along guy, or go along to get along guy. He is an extension of the status quo, I represent change. I look forward to ushering in a new era of prosperity. Ohioans deserve a better future, Tom Raga and I want to lead them there.

Moderator: Thank you, sir. Mr. Strickland, you've got two minutes.

Ted Strickland: Well, I think the choice is clear. If people like what's happening in Ohio, if they like the leadership they've gotten, if they like the condition of our state, then they should vote for Mr. Ken Blackwell. Because he represents a continuation of the Taft-Blackwell way of governing. I represent change. I come from modest backgrounds, as I said earlier, wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but Ohio has been good to me. Ohio has enabled me to serve as a minister and as a psychologist, and as a university professor, and to have the great privilege of serving in the House of Representatives, representing the people of southern and southeastern Ohio. I've been able to do things because of education.

And I want to make a promise to Ohioans. If they elect me to be their governor, every morning when I get out of bed, I'm going to look in the mirror and I'm going to say, "Governor Strickland, what are you going to do today to create jobs for Ohioans to provide economic security for Ohio's families? What are you going to do today to make education of high quality and college affordable for the young people of Ohio. And what are you going to do today, Ted Strickland, to make sure that the people of Ohio who need healthcare can get healthcare without bankrupting their families. Those are the kitchen table issues, the bread-and-butter, dinner bucket issues facing Ohioans, education, healthcare, and economic security for their families.

Those are the issues. No more polarization--I will work to pull Ohioans together, Republicans, Independents and Democrats alike, to move our great state forward. That's the challenge. That's what's facing Ohio, and I ask for your support, because, together, we can move our state forward, and make Ohio great once again.
...
Moderator:
Before we leave, I have a quick question. Jerry Springer's

going to be on the show Dancing with the Stars. Would either of you be interested in competing? (Laughter)

Ken Blackwell: Like his brother Ted, the only thing Jerry's good at running is his mouth. (More laughter).

Ted Strickland: Well, that was sort of a nasty thing to say. I just would like to end by thanking my worthy opponent for participating in this debate.
...
Some "crosstalk" can be heard between the moderator and Blackwell, stepping on the end of Strickland's remarks. I could hear more laughter, "Thank you sir" and "Appreciate it", and then Blackwell's voice saying "I was talking about Jerry."

Nice save, Ken--not! Ken Blackwell simply can't stop himself from being a petty namecaller, which was evident throughout the debate. That he chose to answer this light, joking question from the moderator in, as Ted Strickland said, such a nasty way, only serves to highlight this truth about Blackwell.

So, which of these two men has the necessary character "to work to pull Ohioans together, Republicans, Independents and Democrats alike, to move our great state forward". I think Ken Blackwell just answered that question for us.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment