Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Save Americorps

I think this is important enought to frontpage, but don't have the time to write a post of my own. The following is a post from listener in the overnight thread. To help avoid confusion, since there are three different "voices" in the post, I've used different colors to distinguish the part written by listener, the letter from her clergy friend in NH, and the letter from Beth.

And yes, I did sign the petition.

Well, here's one for Coretta's sake...

My son served in Americorps for two years, tutoring underprivileged kids in the inner city of St. Louis.

Today I got a message from a clergy friend in NH, explaining that Bush is cutting funding to Americorps programs, and inviting me to sign a petition to help save one of them.

Please consider signing!!
The address is below.

Here's the letter from my friend:

Friends and Family

This (see below) is from a young woman in our church.

Need I say more---except that every young person I know who participates in this program (and there are quite a few) has come back a changed person, has grown and what's more, has contributed to the common good. I fear for the common good in these daze of dizzying self-righteous indulgence and political insanity.

Please support Beth and all those who have given and give so much for others through Ameri Corps -- National Civilian Community Corps(NCCC) and otherwise.

Peace

_____

Dear Friends and Family,

I am writing this email to ask for EVERYONES support. AmeriCorps*NCCC (the program I will have devoted 2 years of my life to) is in Jeopardy.

President Bush has cut ALL NCCC funding from the 2007 Budget.
Anyone who knows my experiences and the experiences of other NCCC alum know how important this program is.

The amount of work that we are able to get done is unbelievable, and anyone who was an NCCC sponsor is aware of that. In the proposed budget, it states that AmeriCorps*NCCC has proven to be "ineffective" in their work.

This statement was also made by people who have never visited campuses or projects to see what is actually being done.

I have found a website that is forming a petition to keep NCCC, at the least I would love everyone to sign that.

**************************************
The website is
http://www.petitiononline.com/mr5qv367/petition.html
**************************************

On the other hand, SO much more can be done. Please please please write to your Senator and Congressmen, let them know the importance of the program and the lives that it saves every year that NCCC is in service.

If you would like more information on what NCCC does and the projects and amount of work that has been completed, please let me know and I can get that information for you. Also, if you do write to people, be sure to mention AMERICORPS*NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps).

On a final note, I'm really calling on all of you to speak on behalf of me. I am unable to lobby for the program at this time because i am a current member. If I were Alum, I would be out in full force, as I'm sure you all know. So please if I can help you in any way, let me know!! Please don't let them end this program that is so important!!!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment