It occurs to me that perhaps I should explain self-publishing. I get the book edited and formatted in final complete form. All the paperwork (copyright registration, etc.) completed. This is all stuff a traditional publilsher would do. Then I send it to Amazon, which makes both digital and print-on-demand versions available on their website and to Ingram-Spark which does the same for brick-and-mortar bookstores.
As to the rewrite of your story: I agree completely. Rewrites within reason are worthwhile if they get the manuscript a second look. But if they want you to make substantive changes, that's not the right market for your story.
Once, many years ago, I submitted an essay to a small journal that paid in copies. I was pleased at the acceptance but, when the copy of the issue arrived, I was startled to find that the published essay bore little if any resemblance to the essay I'd submitted. I wrote to the editor, who was unapologetic. Needless to say, I never submitted to that market again. Someplace that pays pro rates is probably not going to demand changes that leave your submission unrecognizable. Good luck!
Those gross changes are totally unacceptable. Magazines often make minor editorial changes, typically to correct grammatical errors. They should submit these to the author for approval butsometimes don't. Neil Gaiman mentioned an instance where the final copyeditor "corrected" a name to one he had heard of.
Ahhh, yes. I understand completely. I can be tired and have a light headache, and think I'm not fit to work on an oil painting, But if I start painting, suddenly a few hours have gone by and my headache is gone. It's amazing what good medicine it is.
The European Peacock Butterfly was in our garden again on Saturday! It turns out they don’t migrate and can tolerate temps down to -20ºF if they're sheltered. Once they find a location they like they stick around. I’m so amazed and pleased!
The European peacock stays in the egg for 5 to 14 days. When the European peacock hatches from the egg, this butterfly species is still a caterpillar. The caterpillar lives for 15 to 30 days, after which the caterpillar will pupate. The pupation lasts for 10 to 16 days. If the European peacock does not hibernate, it will live for 25 to 60 days. An overwintered European peacock lives for 280 to 360 days as a butterfly.
It occurs to me that perhaps I should explain self-publishing. I get the book edited and formatted in final complete form. All the paperwork (copyright registration, etc.) completed. This is all stuff a traditional publilsher would do. Then I send it to Amazon, which makes both digital and print-on-demand versions available on their website and to Ingram-Spark which does the same for brick-and-mortar bookstores.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the explanation.
DeleteAs to the rewrite of your story: I agree completely. Rewrites within reason are worthwhile if they get the manuscript a second look. But if they want you to make substantive changes, that's not the right market for your story.
Once, many years ago, I submitted an essay to a small journal that paid in copies. I was pleased at the acceptance but, when the copy of the issue arrived, I was startled to find that the published essay bore little if any resemblance to the essay I'd submitted. I wrote to the editor, who was unapologetic. Needless to say, I never submitted to that market again. Someplace that pays pro rates is probably not going to demand changes that leave your submission unrecognizable. Good luck!
Those gross changes are totally unacceptable. Magazines often make minor editorial changes, typically to correct grammatical errors. They should submit these to the author for approval butsometimes don't. Neil Gaiman mentioned an instance where the final copyeditor "corrected" a name to one he had heard of.
DeleteThat shouldn't be a problem with an editor accustomed to working with F and SF. I imagine Gaiman was not happy.
DeleteThe incorrect "correction" wasn't crucial, so Gaiman just gave a wry grimace and made sure everybody knew the mistake wasn't his.
DeleteI finally got to spend some time in my sewing room working on a quilt. My outlook is much brighter now. "My soul is fed with needle and thread". Susan
ReplyDeleteHi Susan. So glad you had a chance to feed and soothe your soul.
DeleteAhhh, yes. I understand completely. I can be tired and have a light headache, and think I'm not fit to work on an oil painting, But if I start painting, suddenly a few hours have gone by and my headache is gone. It's amazing what good medicine it is.
DeleteThe European Peacock Butterfly was in our garden again on Saturday! It turns out they don’t migrate and can tolerate temps down to -20ºF if they're sheltered. Once they find a location they like they stick around. I’m so amazed and pleased!
ReplyDeleteThe European peacock stays in the egg for 5 to 14 days. When the European peacock hatches from the egg, this butterfly species is still a caterpillar. The caterpillar lives for 15 to 30 days, after which the caterpillar will pupate. The pupation lasts for 10 to 16 days. If the European peacock does not hibernate, it will live for 25 to 60 days. An overwintered European peacock lives for 280 to 360 days as a butterfly.