Friday, May 27, 2022

So...this happened...



Thursday: I was at my eye doctor with dilated eyes when I discovered a voicemail from my 90 yo duplex neighbour (who was apparently standing on my front porch at the time), telling me that a huge tree had come down.  She was calling to ask if I was upstairs and could I come out?  I was not only not home, but Wil was with me, so I wouldn’t have to drive home with dilated eyes.  Anyway, I was attempting to call her back and somehow tapped puddle's name instead of hers, and woke her up from a sound sleep.  I was as confused as she!  Well, my eyes
were dilated, so my vision wasn’t the best. It wasn’t until I could speak with my neighbour that I learned a huge Maple had fallen across our road, not our driveway (or our roof!).  =Whew!= 

It’s the old Maple that the elementary school used to tap.  Sad to see it go. Apparently it’s been “going” for a long time...hollow inside and full of Carpenter Ants.  Sigh.  I hope puddle was able to get back to sleep.






 

 



6 comments:

  1. "students at some schools are walking out of classes to demand changes"

    Police continue Vt. school threat investigations; Students express anxiety over Texas shooting

    I support students who participate in a walkout! I've always regretted that I didn't participate in a student walkout to protest the Vietnam War. One of my classmates did (pretty much all on her own) and her parents joined her! Mind you, her Dad was a college professor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aggression does not emerge suddenly like a zit. It is usually a consequence of an abusive track that can and should prompt restraint. However, U.S. culture is particularly ambivalent about abuse--unless it involves criticism of law enforcement, in which case it can be classified as assault.

    There is a thin line between discipline and abuse. Contrary to the golden rule, many people do as they were done to and so abuse transits from generation to generation. Why do we still have paddling in public schools? Because parents want their children disciplined. Why is the recommended response to an aggressor to lock down the potential victims like sitting ducks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Discipline" means to teach. Sadly too many people confuse teaching with punishment. It's easier to punish a child and requires far less thought.

      Delete
    2. I have always appreciated an approach I learned early on as a parent: "Ideally, discipline is based on loving guidance."

      Delete
  3. The Onion says it all [Click]
    Re school shootings

    Decolonize Russia [Click]

    —Alan

    ReplyDelete