Monday, January 28, 2019

I STAND ASTONISHED!

Let me keep company always with those who say
"Look!" and laugh in astonishment,
and bow their heads. ~ Mary Oliver
As you know, each year on Candlemas (Feb 2nd) I melt down a year's worth of altar candle stubs and spend the day hand-dipping candles. This weekend I went to pick up a boxful of stubs from the church that saves them for me, and was delighted and amazed to find six boxes of candles waiting for me!! (See photos!) I stood there in wonder, amazement, grateful astonishment! I am still reverberating with awe! Joy!
Recently, the altar guild directress was clearing out the storage closet and found 5 boxes of old candles tucked in the back. As they are yellow beeswax, the church had long ago decided not to use them, favouring the usual liturgical white candles (like the stubs). But these are 51% beeswax and excellent quality, and there are dozens of them in each box!!!  I'm not sure I can bear to melt them down (at least not all), so I may dip some into various colours of wax, and simply hand decorate others. Along with the 5 boxes was a box of stubs, and on top of the stack was a box with candle decorating wax! That's timely, as soon I will be hand decorating the church's new Paschal Candle.

12 comments:

  1. How utterly lovely! Gifts to the gifted, I sez. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ✨💛❤️💛✨

      Delete
    2. Sounds like the perfect gift for you, Listener, one of the rare souls able to appreciate it fully.

      Delete
    3. Aw, thanks, Cat! 💛

      Delete
  2. Would I be correct to assume that the white candles are paraffin? If so, I should think that beeswax would be more godly, being natural and all. Tallow candles would probably be archaic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope.
      The liturgical white candles are made with a high percentage of white beeswax. At some point the yellow beeswax candles were purchased and (likely when the next clergy person arrived) were deemed not appropriate for altar use. I have NEVER seen yellow beeswax candles used in a church, though.

      Delete
  3. Wall Street Not Picky on 2020, Just "Can't Be Warren and It Can't Be Sanders" [Click]
    Progressives were quick to argue on Twitter that Wall Street's fear of a possible Sanders or Warren presidency constitutes a powerful endorsement of both candidates.

    By coming out so strongly against the progressive senators, argued The Daily Beast's Gideon Resnick, Wall Street is "literally giving them a campaign slogan."

    In response to Wall Street's largely anonymous attacks on Sanders and Warren, People for Bernie tweeted, "We bathe in your tears."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a powerful rallying cry for both of them. Now, why would anyone be that incautious?

      Delete
  4. Hit 30F or maybe a bit more today, so I took advantage of the respite to go to the grocery store. A bit of a challenge because it had snowed overnight and as usual the snow plow had piled more than a foot of stuff at the end of the sidewalks, but otherwise not bad. Well, my hands got cold despite the gloves, but can't be helped. Already heading back down, though. Predicted low tonight is 2F and they're talking about possible all-time record lows (-26F) for Wednesday and Thursday. But I won't being going out those days. The previous occasions when it hit 26 below I had to go to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay warm and safe, Bill! ♥

      Delete
    2. You are wise to stay in during the bitterest cold, Bill. Frostbite comes mighty quickly when it's that cold.

      As for the gloves, I recommend Thinsulate!

      Delete
  5. Currently reading The Nigger of the Narcissus in a volume called Great Short Works of Joseph Conrad, a fine novella. The language is simply breathtaking! I could never hope to write like that in my native language, much less an adopted language. The sensitivity and understanding of human nature, both in this and in the other stories I've read so far in this volume, are also rather awe inspiring. I read Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim in college, but these stories impress me far more. I'm older and perhaps wiser. At some point, I'll read them again, or at least Lord Jim.

    ReplyDelete