Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday Morning Open Thread

In the previous thread, I saw a note from floridagal about Howard Dean appearing on Air America Direct today, so I added that to the upcoming appearances on the upper left hand side of this page. I did this while I was waiting for Fox News Sunday to come on, so that I could press the record button on the VCR, but not actually watch the whole show waiting for the segment with Howard. What came on instead was Fox and Friends, so I went to double-check the schedule. Turns out I was watching the wrong Fox channel. Apparently it's still coming up, but it's after "Breakthrough with Rod Parsley". I *really* can't have the sound on for that. For anyone who doesn't know this, Rod is the local right wing televangelist who is working to help get Ken Blackwell elected governor of Ohio. Other church leaders in Ohio have called for an IRS investigation of Parsley and another minister. I just saw a discouraging article in The Other Paper (our local newsweekly) which ends by saying

Even if Parsley's accusers make a strong case at the IRS, punishing him would require the approval of an appointee of President Bush, who won re-election in 2004 with considerable help from World Harvest Church.

Professor Wood said the IRS would not shut down a low-level investigation for political reasons. But once it reaches the top of the organization, "I don't know."

And as long as Parsley doesn't say "Vote for Ken Blackwell," odds are good he'll continue to piss off liberals from his tax-exempt pulpit.

Sigh.

As an antidote to that bummer, check out yesterday's post On our Howard Dean Reunion if you haven't seen it already. It's crossposted at Kos, MyDD, My Left Wing, and Booman, in case you want to check out the comments people have left.

Update: Check out Donna in Evanston's report on a fundraiser with Al Franken here.

Finally, check here and here to see how CNN is becoming more Fox News like, and call them on it if you feel so inclined.

Use this as an open thread.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment