Monday, December 12, 2005

Saving Tookie Williams

Note from Renee: Kimmy has been posting the "Save Tookie" link in the comments, and I asked if she or someone else would please write up a post we could front page about the topic, since I have not followed the case that closely myself. Sylvie said that Agatha had been following the case and could probably write something for us to post. Earlier today, Sylvie saved this post as a draft before leaving for work. Sadly, I just read that Schwarzenneger has denied clemency to Tookie Williams. So even though the comics thread has not been up that long, I decided to post this sooner rather than later.

From Agatha, a long-time blogger at BFA:


Dear Governor Schwarzenneger,

I am writing to ask you to grant clemency to Tookie Williams. I find it disgraceful that the state of California would execute a man nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I was for capital punishment for many years. To this day, I have no sympathy for rapists and child molesters in particular. However, I have come to understand that race and class discrimination undermines our legal system and fair representation of defendants. Over the past couple of years, innovations in forensic science have exonerated prisoners on death row. How can anyone feel closure if the question ultimately remains whether the person being executed is possibly innocent?

The case for Tookie Williams' innocence is particularly strong. Regardless of his possible innocence (this is a big "regardless"), Tookie is not asking for freedom but simply that you spare his life. He is still looking at life in prison, which for me, personally, must be a living hell.

Tookie Williams has managed to transform a living hell into an opportunity to spread peace. I have not read his books for children, but I have read his "Protocol for Peace." I am moved by his effective grassroots strategy to bring about peace in our communities. By engaging ordinary citizens, Tookie is advocating for society, individual members from all generations and walks of life, to work together in a difficult but rewarding process towards mutual respect and peace. Furthermore, his credibility as a reformed gang member must touch people, especially young people, in a way that no other person can.

You must be asking yourself many questions today. I hope you are asking yourself what decision will benefit the greater good. You have a choice to execute a possibly innocent man. This may bring closure to some. Or, you can let a man in jail continue to write and speak out for peace. This will continue to diminish gang violence in our communities. The former decision has a potential for irreparable harm, while the latter hurts no one and helps many.

Thank you for reading my e-mail. For the past couple of hours, I have been trying to call your office. The line was either busy or unable to take my call. I know that politicians value phone calls more than e-mails, but I hope that this e-mail will help you in your decision process.

Sincerely,
"Agatha"


You can get all contact info here. He's scheduled to be executed tomorrow at 12:01 AM.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment