Saturday, October 22, 2005

Maybe we aren't so different after all

One of my goals in the past few years has been to become more aware of the limits of my ethnocentric world view. After all, It's a great big universe and we're all really puny. Anyway, I'm definitely making an effort to learn more about other cultures and faith traditions, so I appreciate learning opportunities like the Ramadan series over at Street Prophets and the interfaith prayer forum I attended in Columbus this summer. Another window on the world that I can access, when I think of it, is a blog called nmazca. It's run by Damon Taylor, who used to live here in Columbus. Then he moved to Seattle. Now he's in Cairo for some reason. I'm sure I could find out why if I read a few entries back, but for now I'm just enjoying the pictures.

Today I found this story, which he linked from the International Herald Tribune: Ramadan: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

The ad you see here is one Damon photographed on his trip to Doha, Qatar last year.



Does anyone else envision the a Muslim version of A Charlie Brown Christmas where Linus (Ahmed? Mohammed?) has to explain the true meaning of Ramadan?

Alternate link for comments

4 comments:

  1. I simply couldn't go away your site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information an individual supply in your guests? Is gonna be back often to check up on new posts How to handle skin disorders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Α fascinating ԁisсussiοn іs definitеly
    worth cοmment. І do think that уοu need to publіѕh more about thіs subject matteг, it might nοt bе a tabоo mаtter but typically ρeople
    ԁοn't speak about these topics. To the next! Kind regards!! http://www.tinnitus411.com/clear-tinnitus/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nіce pοst. I just stumbled upon your blog anԁ wished to
    saу that I have гeally enјoуed browsing your blog postѕ.

    Αfter аll I wіll bе subscribing tο your feed
    anԁ I hope you write again soon! simply click the following webpage

    ReplyDelete
  4. An outstanding shaгe! I have just foгωaгdеd thiѕ οntо a cοllеaguе who had bеen
    conducting a little гesearch on this. And hе actuаlly bought me bгeakfast sіmply beсаuse I stumbled upon it for hіm.
    .. lоl. So alloω mе to reωorԁ
    thiѕ.... Thаnk YОU for the mеal!
    ! But yeah, thanks for sρending the time tο talk аbout this mattеr here on yοur wеb pagе.
    visit the next web site

    ReplyDelete