Saturday, September 17, 2005

Strange days indeed...

...most peculiar, Mama!

Now, I do have a sense that we need to be careful in how we respond to Bush's obviously staged, don't-we-have-a-great-marketing-department speech on Thursday night. I gather that psychologically, it was important to give those affected by Hurricane Katrina a sense of hope. Certainly, they needed to be reassured that they will not be abandoned, given that at least one of Bush's prominent fellow Republcans had already suggested that rebuilding New Orleans "didn't make sense".

But, does Donna Brazile really need to get this--um, what's the word? Ass-kissy?

I Will Rebuild With You, Mr. President

On Thursday night President Bush spoke to the nation from my city. I am not a Republican. I did not vote for George W. Bush -- in fact, I worked pretty hard against him in 2000 and 2004. But on Thursday night, after watching him speak from the heart, I could not have been prouder of the president and the plan he outlined to empower those who lost everything and to rebuild the Gulf Coast.