Saturday, September 03, 2005

The LAST thing we should be doing

Crossposted at Daily Kos, Booman Tribune, and My Left Wing

The big thing on my mind is Frist pushing for a vote on ending the estate tax. My rant of the day is about that.

Is Frist *clinically* insane?

But I really want to do more than rant. I want us to defeat this insane, irresponsible, inhuman proposal with a resounding NO!! vote. I want it stomped into the ground.

I want us to grab America by the lapels, look it right in the eye and say *we* need to say no to this thing. Work with me, America! *Everybody* who is not in the top two percent in income should be outraged--as well as the good guys and gals who *are* in the top two percent--and Senate offices should be *flooded* with letters. How *dare* they throw away an important source of revenue when so many people are in such desperate need right now!

And to be pushing this forward *now*--while so many of us "bleeding heart" liberal types are focussed on doing everything we can to help the hurricane survivors.

Wait a sec...that probably *is* why he decided now was the time. Push this thing forward fast--not giving us time to mount an effective response, especially since we're so preoccupied at the moment.

Jerk. This should totally backfire on him. So, how do we make that happen?
-----------
Lots of good articles about Katrina, and what went wrong as far as responding in a timely manner, can be found at the Citizens for Legitimate Government web site.

From the Disability Preparedness Center, articles about the plight of the disabled in the aftermath of Katrina.

And thank you, unien, for passing along the link to ASPCA's Hurricane Relief page. We've certainly seen some sad stories about the fate of beloved family pets in the past few days.

Finally, for anyone who didn't see this the other day, susanhu posted this funny-if-it-weren't-so-tragic piece on Booman Tribune:

"Ohh, nooo!!! The coastal erosion!"

In 2004, Mr. Bill -- the unforgettable clay figure of Saturday Night Live fame -- was tapped, by America's Wetland to raise awareness of the loss of Louisiana's swamps and marshlands.

Must-see video: Mr. Bill in "Hurricane Sluggo," "Save New Orleans," "Mr. Bill Does the Weather," and a 45-minute video, "New Orleans: The Natural History." Crooks & Liars has a write-up on the 2004 ad, noting that Mr. Bill knew, unlike Mr. Bush, that the levees could be breached.

7 comments:

  1. The defeat of the repeal of the estate tax --- a tax the Grover Norquists and Frank Luuntzs of this country hated so much they coined a euphemism that has most of the country fooled as to value of it --- would be a feather in our cap we sorely need.

    It could indicate the death throes of this misguided conservative agenda...

    The wealthy of Responsible Wealth are with us on this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friends,

    Rather than going over to the big blog, I think I'll stay here. My fantasy is that everybody, lurkers and all, will migrate over here, leaving the big blog for the trolls and creeps like Puddle describes on the last thread, "bemoaning" that the zoo animals survived due to good planning. Sheesh!!! I'm glad *SOMEBODY* survived due to good planning!!! This give DHS, FEMA and others any useful idears? *sigh*

    On another subject, or facet, I hear Habitat has a neat plan. They're gonna start now building houses, then disassemble them and transport them to the Gulf Coast. This way, they can get a head start on a massive job while staying out of the way.

    !NEWS FLASH!
    Chief Justice Renquist has died.

    Lord forgive me, but I can't honestly say I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Renee et al; just stopped by BFA and saw the mention of the shadow blog. Another place to stop in once in a while, and to add to my Howard Dean page. (I've been saving up a couple of things for that). I kicked in some money for hurricane relief via the NAACP web site (www.naacp.org); figured I could count on them more than some others...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Uinen's sister...I wanted to share the following tidbit from MSNBC.com's front page story of the events in New Orleans today. They're giving the run-down of the day's events:

    (re: bodies at the Convention Center) "People at the center said that at least 22 bodies were stored inside the building, but troops guarding the building refused to confirm that and threatened to beat reporters seeking access to the center's makeshift morgue." ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612/)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alan, long time no see. This is a great blog. A tad quiet at the moment, but troll free.

    Well, friends, I'm gonna have to say good night.

    Howard rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodnight, uinen--I didn't see your comments right away because I was editing this post to add some of the links you gave me in an earlier post. Welcome, honore, and good to see you again, Alan. I should go ahead and add your link to the blogroll before I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, Alan. Thought I was going to add your link to the blogroll, but I got this:

    "You have encountered a fatal error. Support has been notified."

    I tried again, just in case, but got the same thing. Don't think I'll try again tonight. There's just something about the words "fatal error" that makes me a bit nervous.

    Waaay past my bedtime, and my church is still on the Absurdly Early Summer Schedule tomorrow, but will revert to normal times next week.

    'Night, everyone.

    ReplyDelete