Why Aren’t Whales Singing? The answer starts with a broken food chain. Unrelenting marine heatwaves, fueled by the climate crisis, are starving blue whales. The once-abundant krill and anchovies they depend on are disappearing—victims of warming waters, toxic algal blooms, and ocean acidification. And when whales don’t have enough food, they stop singing. I keep making this comparison because the rich seem to think when they have "thinned the herd" and killed many of us, that they will live in a paradise. The krill is the smallest life form in the ocean, yet they are the main part of a blue whale's diet. When the smallest die, the largest will be right behind them. This applies to humans as well. The rich cannot survive without us and they are, as my mamaw used to say, "Cutting off their noses to spite their faces". Susan
Yes, a 40% drop in vocalisations over 6 years. Not good. A friend of mine is a photographer for Monterey Bay Science, and her primary work is photographing whales!
For anyone who didn't see it in the previous thread:
W A Thomasson9/07/2026 12:51:00 AM
I haven't posted since I got back from Worldcon! And it's almost midnight!! But despite problems at the destination airport because the driver who was supposed to pick me up was in the hospital, It was a great con. I was on five panels and attended a dozen more. Now trying to write up those panels for my email group. I'll try to keep up better from now on.
German far-right party set for regional election win but uncertain of governing
ReplyDeleteVideo: What the AfD's big win in Saxony-Anhalt really means? | DW News - Click
DeleteOne quick takeaway from the program: Chanceler Mertz stands at 13% approval. Oh, that we could get the orange turd down to 13%!
Why Aren’t Whales Singing?
ReplyDeleteThe answer starts with a broken food chain.
Unrelenting marine heatwaves, fueled by the climate crisis, are starving blue whales. The once-abundant krill and anchovies they depend on are disappearing—victims of warming waters, toxic algal blooms, and ocean acidification. And when whales don’t have enough food, they stop singing.
I keep making this comparison because the rich seem to think when they have "thinned the herd" and killed many of us, that they will live in a paradise. The krill is the smallest life form in the ocean, yet they are the main part of a blue whale's diet. When the smallest die, the largest will be right behind them. This applies to humans as well. The rich cannot survive without us and they are, as my mamaw used to say, "Cutting off their noses to spite their faces". Susan
Of course the poor whales can't sing, they're hungry! This is terrible!
DeleteYes, a 40% drop in vocalisations over 6 years. Not good.
DeleteA friend of mine is a photographer for Monterey Bay Science, and her primary work is photographing whales!
Glad you're home safe and sound, W.A. I hope you can tell us more about the con. It sounds like you were very busy!
ReplyDeleteIt was distressing to hear that the driver who was supposed to pick you up was in the hospital. I hope they're all right!
For anyone who didn't see it in the previous thread:
ReplyDeleteW A Thomasson9/07/2026 12:51:00 AM
I haven't posted since I got back from Worldcon! And it's almost midnight!! But despite problems at the destination airport because the driver who was supposed to pick me up was in the hospital, It was a great con. I was on five panels and attended a dozen more. Now trying to write up those panels for my email group. I'll try to keep up better from now on.
Great to know you have returned safely, W.A.! Looking forward to hearing more about the con.
Delete