Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Blog comment software

Quick update, which hopefully won't include any profanity. (But after hours of frustration trying to do something with the comments, I wouldn' t count on it.)

Here's the thing. I'd like to be less indispensable with regard to adding the comment links. In addition, Haloscan has apparently made some change so that we can't edit comments any more.

So I tried to install Disqus, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get it to work all nice and integrated like it does at Americablog. So I went over to the old ShadowBFA url, which I have often used as my testing grounds for trying to figure such things out.

After trying long and hard and coming up empty-handed, I tried to reintall Haloscan over there, because that is where I "grow" the new comment threads. But for the life of me, I couldn't get Haloscan reinstalled. I've spent a couple hours trying to get back to where I was when I first started this little adventure. The ShadowBFA address still exists if you want to go back and look at old comment threads for whatever reason, but in the end, I had to set up a new blog for growing these threads. It can be found here.

One more thing...I'm having a rough couple of days, and the excursion into coding hell hasn't made things better. So if I came across cranky here, I'm sorry. It's the best I can manage at the moment. I hope no one has taken the crankiness personally, because that certainly is not my intention. But right now, I just need to step away from the computer for a couple hours.

Oh--and where it says "0 comments"--that's left over from when I tried to install Disqus. I will make that go away at a later time, when I am feeling slightly less hostile toward all things computer-related.

Haloscan comment thread