Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Season of the Spirit

An exchange in the previous thread prompted me to point out that Oscar wasn't the only one who found gratuitous digs against organized religion objectionable. Some of us just don't object openly. But it gnaws at me from time to time, that, by my silence, I consent to the standard that there are some groups it's okay to stereotype. I remain silent because I am not fond of debate. That's a cowardly, lazy reason, I suppose, but there you go.

Well, here's *my* "Word for the Week... I don't think my faith makes me "better" than anyone else, but it is an important part of why I care about issues of social justice. Saying that my faith isn't relevant to my politics, or shouldn't matter, frankly doesn't cut it. The fact that people "out there" decide that it is important to keep religion and politics completely separate has no bearing on what happens inside me. I can't compartmentalize myself that easily. A lot of people can't.

Funny thing--the jabs against religion (and I *did* see them as broad-stroke, not just anti-religious right) motivated me to get out of bed and go to church this morning. I didn't *have* to--I don't go out of "guilt" or "obligation". I go because I like to spend part of Sunday morning in a church that says things like this in its newsletter...


Also this liturgy will emphasize something that most summer worship ignores - the season of the Spirit. As the church year unfolds, Advent leads to the birth of Jesus. Epiphany announces a new vision of the graciousness of God. Lent prepares us for the central event of Easter. The Easter season celebrates life-changing resurrection and leads to the gift of the Spirit - the inspiration that leads us out into the world to proclaim God in new ways and to welcome the least, the last, and the lost into a new realm of God - the church. This season of the Spirit is often called The Sundays after Pentecost. Or, in some churches, it is called Ordinary time. Both seem to miss the point. The Holy Spirit did not come and leave but stays to empower the church; there is nothing about this that is ordinary or after.. Pentecost did not happen and then the disciples went on with their work. The Spirit created the Christian community and remains present to sustain us.. The Spirit is our counselor, reminding us of the words of Jesus. The Spirit is our inspiration, sending us in witness for Jesus - advocates for justice and compassion and truth. The season of the Spirit is THE season of the year. It is where we live and move and have our being now. It is the part of the Biblical story that is still unfolding.

So the words you will hear in the liturgy this summer will reflect a season of the Spirit, not after the Spirit. The focus of the liturgy will be on its final element - Sending. At the dismissal we could say, “Whew! That’s done. It’s over. Dismissed.”
Instead you will hear Pam, our deacon, sending us forth to do what we have rehearsed in the liturgy - love one another, care for the stranger, stand up for what is just.



No, it doesn't make anyone somehow a better person because their motivation to work for social justice is grounded in their faith. But neither are we, or our motivations, deserving of *less* respect than anyone else.

Haloscan comment thread

No comments:

Post a Comment