Tuesday, May 15, 2007

On Heaven and Hell

Anyway, I found myself thinking of these words from the hymn Borning Cry.

When the evening gently closes in,
and you shut your weary eyes,
I'll be there as I have always been
with just one more surprise.

I think that, no matter who we are, when our time comes, we're bound to be surprised. Some of us, I imagine, will be more surprised than other. Some of us will be pleasantly surprised, and others...not so much. Maybe, just maybe, Rev. Falwell is, at this very moment, getting his bearings in an afterlife where he is surrounded by loving families headed by same-sex couples. People of all different religions and ethnicities being welcomed with open arms by our loving Mother Godde. Maybe for him, that would be "hell"...

Another thought... Once we are no longer limited by our usual first person singular perspective, it seems plausible to me that we could experience, as some have claimed, a life review in which we experience from the other person's perspective every encounter which we have ever had with another. If it were to turn out that is what's in store for us, how pleasant or unpleasant do you think that would be?

Haloscan comment thread

3 comments:

  1. Haloscan is down for me. Son #2 got a laptop for me for Mother's Day.

    I've discovered that you *can* clean a bathroom with a 2-yr. old in tow.


    And Howard is first. And, oh do I wish he were our President!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy - sorry to see everyone still locked out...

    ♥'s to all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something to try...

    at the top of the home page there's a little orange square with a 'B' in it

    click it and re-register w/ Blogger

    ReplyDelete