Sunday, January 07, 2007

Borning Cry

Daughter in Ohio sang with the children's choir in church today. The following isn't the song the girls sang, but was the "hymn in procession" before the baptism that was scheduled for today. The actual baptism didn't take place, because the baby was sick, but they still did the renewal of baptismal vows with the congregation--that thing with the "I will, with God's help" that I mentioned in my prayer for the New Year. Anyway, I found the song just tear-jerkingly beautiful--such that I wasn't able to actually sing it along with the congregation. When I turned around toward the baptismal font, I saw another mom of a choir member, and she was dabbing her eyes. So I know it wasn't just me. Anyway, I thought I'd share...

"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child,
with a faith to suit you well;
In a blaze of light you wandered off
to find where demons dwell."

"When you heard the wonder of the Word
I was there to cheer you on;
You were raised to praise the living Lord,
to whom you now belong.
If you find someone to share your time
and you join your hearts as one,
I'll be there to make your verses rhyme
from dusk 'till rising sun."

In the middle ages of your life,
not too old, no longer young,
I'll be there to guide you through the night,
complete what I've begun.
When the evening gently closes in,
and you shut your weary eyes,
I'll be there as I have always been
with just one more surprise."

"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold."
Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment