Sunday, November 19, 2006

Making a difference

Yesterday, in a post entitled Being "my sister's keeper", I raised the issue of women in Afghanistan who are subject to alarming rates of domestic violence and little hope of escape.

From the comments, Jessica wrote:

Abused women in *this* country feel like there's no way out. I don't know what the women over there could do even if they overcame the emotional entrapment...
And SusanD added:

And, actually, our women's shelters here in the US are woefully undersupplied. Many of the women and children have only the clothes they were wearing when they escaped. I donate blankets and stuff that the church pantry funnels to them.
Anyway, that is where the discussion turned to "what can we do to help women in tough circumstances *here*, and what prompted last night's post about the Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation Donation Drive. This morning I added a button to the left sidebar, just above the UN Millennium Development Campaign button--another program I encourage people to learn more about.

Right now I need to take Daughter in Ohio to choir practice, and later in the day I need to play "catch up" with things I couldn't get done when I was sick. But I wanted to get this post up before I go. If you agree that this is a worthwhile cause, please crosspost. People are welcome to download the graphic button for use on their own blogs, or you could create your own.

Here are some posts from last winter about Friends of PRR:
Dean Corps
Howard Empowered Friends of Pine Ridge

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment