Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Songs for Democracy

As I commented at the end of the last thread, I really am about to turn in, but I've just gotta post this first. Thanks to Abbey at As Ohio Goes, I just discovered this song by Victoria Parks entitled Bye Bye Blackwell. I think it will give many here a much needed smile.

I first heard Victoria sing at the Rainbow Push Ohio event I attended in September. There she sang "My Vote Don't Matter Anymore", which was inspired by one of the stories she heard during the public testimonies on election irregularities that took place in Ohio after the 2004 election.

We stood in lines outside three hours, maybe four
A rainy November second, Two-Thousand-Four
All across our nation, too many to ignore
We turned out in numbers they'd never seen before

I should know dear,
I've been voting here
since the second world war
My name is Amos Connelly
Now they're telling me
My vote don't matter anymore
Read more about the song here, and listen to it here.

Never again...

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment