Monday, October 30, 2006

HOME FROM THE CAMPAIGN RALLY (Proud Vermonter Alert!) by listener

On a blustery Sunday morning, well over 100 Vermonters packed the Underhill Town Hall to hear the candidates speak, just nine days before the Election. I'd heard only that Bernie Sanders (I-US Senate) and Scudder Parker (D-VT Gov) would be there. Bernie was unable to attend a recent Rally in my town of Jericho and felt so bad about it that he offered to come today. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only Bernie and Scudder had come to be with us, but everyone else came too! Peter Welch (D-US House), Matt Dunne (D-VT Lt. Gov), our town Reps (D-Bill Frank) and (D-Gaye Symington, who is also Speaker of the VT House) were there, along with the fine candidates for VT Senate and State's Attorney from Chittenden County.

As he made the rounds before the speaking began, and came by my table, I thanked Bernie for being a co-sponsor of the National Nurse legislation, HR 4903. He had been about to shake my hand but gave me a hug instead! (He gives soft, sincere hugs.) Without missing a beat, he said "That's an issue we need to do a lot more about!" I gave him my "I support the National Nurse" button. I also gave him a letter with information and links regarding Charlie Grapski's situation in Florida, and he was happy to take it. On the envelope I had written "URGENT CONCERN Re: Civil Liberties and Election Fraud" and when he spoke he mentioned Civil Liberties, which helped me feel heard.

Gaye introduced Bernie, and I learned for the first time that my Rep. got into politics by hosting a dinner for Bernie's campaigns in '92 and '94, where she heard herself remark "to do that I would have to run for office myself." { ! } How many of you have had that sort of moment ~ especially in the wake of Howard Dean's influence? Oh, Howard, what you got us all into! ;-)

When Bernie spoke, his first issue was Healthcare. How I wished National Nurse Teri Mills could be there to hear him! Bernie has a huge lead in the polls and Peter Welch has a strong lead, so we feel pretty confident (not complacent, mind you; we have memories!) that they will win. At one point, Bernie said something about looking forward to the day when Bush and Cheney have to raise their hand and testify under oath ~ wild applause! ~ I turned to Peter and said, "That's going to be a good CSPAN day," and he laughed. We laughed, but mostly we spoke of serious things. Scudder was perhaps the most serious of all, articulating the ways Jim Douglas has done little and even taken credit for things, like the healthcare legislation that he actually fought against. Scudder got loud standing ovations! All it takes is for people to meet him. Sitting next to Peter, listening to Bernie speak, I felt deeply moved and encouraged for the future that very soon our Vermont delegation will be: Pat Leahy and Bernie Sanders in the Senate and Peter Welch in the House. I was so sorry I'd forgotten to bring my camera, but the son of a friend had his digital camera along, so hopefully we'll have some soon to embellish this post.

Candidate after candidate, from Bernie to Peter to Scudder to Matt, spoke and it was more than simply energising. It had been raining when I arrived, with a cold wind brewing, and now as I looked out the window I saw a fully involved snow squall. This is Vermont, after all. But inside, the warmth was palpable. The unified message, which received numerous standing ovations, is that when Pat, Bernie and Peter are in office in Washington and Scudder and Matt are in office in Montpelier, Vermont will lead the nation: healthcare for all persons regardless of their employment status, bringing our troops home and caring for them when they get here (even if Washington doesn't), strengthening our ties around the world, strengthening our economy, and leading the nation as regards renewable energy and sustainable resources! Vermont is not afraid to lead, and I believe we will be better equipped to do so after this election. Bernie and Peter plan to come back to Vermont after the election and have town meetings with us.

I have attended several debates and rallies, but something was different today. This message has grown and developed in recent months and is clearly more than rhetoric. It is fresh hope, not just for us here in Vermont today, but for all our children and for the whole nation. It's going to be AMAZING!!!

Bernie is going to be on NPR on Election night, maybe as early as 8:20pm, reporting on our early election returns. Be sure to tune in.

So here I am, totally enheartened for the first time in ever so long.
I can hardly wait to help count the vote here in Jericho!

♥ ~ listener

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment