Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Jennifer Brunner on keeping Ohions' data safe


Blue Buckeye Blog has a video of Secretary of State candidate Jennifer Brunner's remarks the Social Security numbers that can be found on the current Secretary of State's web site.

Here's a transcript of what she says:

Hello, I'm Jennifer Brunner, the Democratic candidate for Ohio Secretary of State. I'm running for this office because I want to restore trust to Ohio's election process and change the way Ken Blackwell has run elections in Ohio. I'm committed to insuring that our elections in Ohio will be free, fair, open and honest. I'm here with you today to firmly state that I'm committed to protecting Ohioans.

Ken Blackwell has published Social Security numbers on his state office web site for routine business filings, threatening the financial security of Ohioans. When confronted with all of this last week, Ken Blackwell tried to escape responsibility for it, first, by blaming it on the federally drafted forms, and then on the filers themselves.

The real problem is that Ken Blackwell doesn't know what his records say, because he's outsourced these jobs to a private company. He can't say how many people's rights were violated or how he's going to fix the problem.

Identity theft is real, and we all want to be safe. When I was a judge at the Franklin County Common Pleas Court, I punished people for identity theft, and worked to get restitution for victims of this crime. As your next Secretary of State, I will return the responsibilities of guarding Ohioans' private information to state employees who are responsible to me, not private companies. I'll protect Ohioans' private information, just like I'll protect their right to vote.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment