Sunday, November 27, 2005

Alternate Word For The Week




Not so much about religion, since if you're raised Mormon, and leave, you aren't going to feel comfortable about the subject ever again in your life. Instead, I've tried to focus on the spiritual. There I feel perfectly at home (and it was the difference between the two that lead me to leave the Mormons in the first place). Imagine my surprise a couple of years ago when I saw a study that had been done with brain scans: the two, religion and spirituality, don't even take place in the same part of the brain! Religion occurs at the left front, where math, standards, and feeling superior to others takes place; spirituality is on the right side, next to the ear, where pleasure, joy, and comfort takes place. . . .
That said, I'd have to say that although Oscar seems to be religious, I "feel" that he's spiritual, lol! I.e., he never uses religion to feel superior to others, only to state where he stands. No matter how the language sounds (especially to those of us who have been sensitized to the subject), he, in and of himself, a believer though he be, lives his life as a spiritual being, not as a religious one.