Wednesday, January 16, 2008

2008 version of "What I want to know" plea from New West blogger.

I happened on this blog today, and I thought it was powerful. The things the blogger listed are the very same things I still want to know. The questions asked by Howard Dean at the famous speech in 2003 in California.....have never been answered.

What I want to know...2008 version

She was making this post coming up to last night's debate.

It would be a refreshing change tonight to hear about what have they learned from their pasts, and where do they want take the country based on that. Because we’ve got some major challenges ahead, and some key unanswered questions are still hanging. They’ve been out there for a while. Five long years ago, on March 15, 2003, Howard Dean galvanized the Democratic base and ignited a movement with a speech at the California State Democratic Convention. The ”What I want to know” speech is the single-most referenced moment in time people tell me about when they talk about getting passionate about politics.

What I want to know is what in the world so many Democrats are doing supporting the President’s unilateral intervention in Iraq?

What I want to know is what in the world so many Democrats are doing supporting tax cuts, which have bankrupted this country and given us the largest deficit in the history of the United States?

What I want to know is why the Congress is fighting over the Patient’s Bill of Rights? The Patient’s Bill of Rights is a good bill, but not one more person gets health insurance and it’s not 5 cents cheaper.

What I want to know is why the Democrats in Congress aren’t standing up for us, joining every other industrialized country on the face of the Earth in providing health insurance for every man, woman and child in America.


The blogger then lists what questions still have not been appropriately addressed by our party.

So here’s a few things that I want to know. I want to know why, five years later, is the substance of all of Howard Dean’s questions still unanswered?

What I want to know is that you will renounce preemptive war.

What I want to know is that you will get our troops out of Iraq before the end of your first term in office, without leaving permanent bases.


What I want to know is that you will make finding Osama bin Laden and destroying al Qaeda the number one national security priority of your administration.

What I want to know is that you will take care of the men and women who gave their all for us in Iraq and Afghanistan, how you will end the shameful lack of funding, services, and treatment these brave men and women face when they come home, and how you will ensure they get the help that they not only need, but deserve.


Thanks to the blogger for an great post. I wonder if this is McJoan at Daily Kos? Doesn't say.

Halo Scan Comments