Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Unwatched DVDs

I gave a couple of final exams yesterday, and have one more plus some make-up exams to give on Thursday. Right now I have some grading to do, but, for the first time in weeks, we have our living room back. Daughter was sleeping on the couch while she had a cast on her leg, so that she wouldn't have to go up and down the stairs to her bedroom. The cast finally came off yesterday (and there was much rejoicing).

So now I'm looking at the DVDs I recently checked out from the library, thinking I really should watch one of them before they need to go back to the library. I can't even begin to count how many DVDs or videos I have checked out, only to return them, unwatched, to the library. I just, um, treat them to a little car ride. Inanimate objects enjoy that, right? ;) Or wait--maybe the service I'm offering them is sort of like a retreat. Some quiet time during which they will not be subjected to any new scratches or additional wear and tear.

Anyway, right now I've got "Outfoxed" and "Shut up and sing". Both are things I'd kind of like to see. But my husband doesn't like to watch anything that might make him even more angry at the right wing than he already is. And I'm not much for sitting down and watching a DVD by myself.

As the day wore on, I started watching a documentary called The World According to Sesame Street

Sesame Street” originator Joan Ganz Cooney explains the show like this: “Our producers are like old-fashioned missionaries...it’s not religion they’re spreading, but it is learning and tolerance and love and mutual respect, and in a way, you have to say it must be the most wonderful job in the world.”
It really is fascinating, and probably less likely to make me cranky than the other two options. (Which I may eventually watch as well.)

Here's a link about the documentary.

I should probably go grade a few more exams now.

Haloscan comment thread