Sunday, April 01, 2007

Wanted: a candidate worth working for

Thought you all might appreciate some of what Rob has to say in So Who Has That Vision Thing?, which is posted at the Independent Bloggers' Alliance. If you read on, you'll see that he's leaning towards Edwards, and I know some here don't consider him an option at all for one reason or another. But I decided to post at least this section, because I think it puts into words what I've tried to express, with varying degrees of success, in the past, about my support or lack of support for a candidate. (Emphasis mine.)

As a liberal Democratic Party activist, I’ll know the candidate I support when I’m compelled to knock on doors and phone bank in get out the vote (GOTV) efforts. Activism is disruptive to one’s life. It has to be coordinated around one’s work schedule and personal life. Often done after hours, on weekends and at the expense of more pleasurable activities.

Hence, I need to be inspired by a candidate before I sign up and help in their effort to become president. Inspiration is not something easily quantified. We know inspiration when we feel it. So, what are the ingredients that inspire activists to stuff envelopes and get doors slammed in their faces? What are we looking for in our next president?


You can read the rest here.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment