Friday, April 20, 2007

Thursday's Broadcast of "Crossroads"

Crossposted at Disabled Americans for Democracy

America At A Crossroads

Tonight's Films:



I can't praise Crossroads enough. It's a fascinating series. Its discussions of Islamic fundamentalists and radicals, as well as of Islamicism, which is an ideology not a faith, reinforces my long held belief that *all* fundamentalists are the same, regardless of what faith (or secular belief) first gave rise to them. I can't tell you how many times tonight I nodded and said, "Yup. Just like American Christian fundamentalists."

The first of tonight's films, Faith Without Fear, dealing with a young Muslem-Canadian woman's quest for an authentic yet inclusive and ever-growing Islam, reminded me a good deal of the history of Medieval and Modern Catholicism. The film maker spoke of the Islamic tradition of scholarship, inquiry and logic, much like the similar Catholic tradition. However, when confronted with change and attack, Islam withdrew into restrictive, "traditional" interpretations of the faith, much as some Catholics retreated and still retreat.

The second film, Struggle For The Soul Of Islam, picked up some of the themes of Faith Without Fear, while also looking back to earlier films dealing with Islamicism and the radicalization of some Muslems.

The series has also reinforced my deep conviction that the United States, especially though not exclusively under Fearless Leader, itself causes and/or fuels a great deal of the hatred aimed at it. Through our foreign policy, our often thoroughly revolting masse "culture" with its worship of violence and obscenity, our economic imperialism, and our nursery-level conviction that, naturally, the entire world wants to be just like us, we quite naturally turn a very great many people elsewhere in the world off in a *big* way. Even at the time of September Eleventh, I said that I understood why the highjackers did what they did. I abhorred it, but I understood it. I have been inveighing against America's excesses and stupidity since early adolescence. These things can't possibly be so bloody hard to see!

Alt Comment Link

No comments:

Post a Comment