Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Observe the snow"

This is something Demetrius and I say to each other on those occasions when there is a whole lot of snow that we're going to have to shovel, drive through, or whatever. It comes from a Straight Dope article from 1979. I'm thinking "Eskimo" is one of those words that has fallen out of favor to some extent, so I'm mentioning that this is from 1979 for context.

Dear Cecil:

In view of the blizzards we frequently have here in the Great White Midwest, how about a vocabulary lesson? I've heard the Eskimos have nine words for snow. What are they? --Karen, Chicago

Dear Karen:

I've got a lot more than nine words for snow, and I don't even need to resort to Eskimo. This is because I have a powerful descriptive vocabulary.

It goes on from there to list some of the words for snow, but here's where we got our semi-inside joke:

In my spare time I have been attempting to construct an Eskimo sentence in my basement, such as will be suitable for the season. I have not get it perfected yet, but it is coming along pretty well, and with a little work it might pass for the genuine article. So far I have: kaniktshaq moritlkatsio atsuniartoq.

When completed, this sentence will proclaim: "Look at all this f**king snow." At present it means: "Observe the snow. It fornicates." This is not poetic, but it is serviceable, and I intend to employ it at the next opportunity. Anyone who feels it would alleviate his or her tension is invited to do likewise. Should it be felt that this is too burdensome a load of verbiage to be hauling around all the time, one may avail oneself of the timeless Eskimo interjection anaq, sh*t. This is appropriate to a wide variety of situations.


By the way, I recommend checking out these diaries at My Left Wing.
I've been banned at Daily Kos
I've been warned
And my own diary there, Thinking About Linking.

I know a lot of people (most recently Alan in the comments) say yawn or ho hum when the subject of the behemoth orange blog comes up, which is why I didn't devote the whole post to the issue. But I feel like there are some important developments that need to be documented, and that they should be findable via the front page.

Off to shovel a path to the car.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment