Friday, January 05, 2007

Blogger Question

I was just going to put this in the comments, but I thought it should be its own thread so that more people will see it. Has anyone here converted to the new version of Blogger? I am still using the older version. I got an e-mail from one of our contributors, Andrew C. White, asking about whether I had converted or whether I am planning to. He added,

OK... according to blogger documentation... since I am not the original creator of the group blog I can convert my account to the new release without it affecting the group blog. They write:

"If a team member of a blog switches their account to the new version of Blogger before the blog owner does, then the team blog is not converted. It will appear on the team member's converted dashboard, but clicking on it will lead back to the old version of Blogger. Thus, the blog will still be usable, but without the new features of Blogger (e.g. Labels, Layouts, etc.)."

I still haven't done this yet. Have any of the other contributors converted yet? The other group blog I belong to is a special case that blogger says they handle differently because the original creator has relinquished ownership of the blog thereby making it ownerless. So I can't use/see that as a test case.

If no one else has converted yet then I will go ahead and do it as a test case at some point when you are prepared to rescue it in case there are problems. I never trust new versions of software.
I have pretty much been putting off dealing with this--it wasn't *that* long ago that I took on the project of redoing the template again. I'm always a bit shy about touching anything after surviving that endeavor. And I don't know if the new version of Blogger would mess with the custom template in some way. The one time I did use it (on that other blog, which I never really did anything with) I wasn't all that impressed. Granted, that was several months ago.

I know there's documentation I can go wade through to try to figure this all out, but I'm not teaching any classes this quarter, and really need to turn my attention to generating some income. So, my personal inclination is to do nothing. If there's any compelling reason that I need to convert to the new version, someone please explain it to me, using small words. :) I suppose Blogger may make everyone switch eventually, but if I don't have to deal with it right now, I don't plan to.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment