Saturday, June 03, 2006

Loving Day

Until I saw a comment about it by georgia10 in this Kos post, I had no idea that there was such a thing as Loving Day. But it is a *very* cool idea, and something I hope the progressive blogosphere can keep talking about over the next couple weeks. The message of Loving Day and what it represents stands in sharp contrast to what Bush is trying to do with his push for a "Marriage Protection Amendment".

What is Loving Day?

On June 12th, 1967, interracial couples became legal thanks to the Supreme Court decision entitled Loving v. Virginia. Before that date, states had the right to separate and punish interracial couples. These punishments included imprisonment of up to ten years. Violations included marriage, sex, and living together. This issue is a part of the civil rights movement that is too often forgotten. On June 12th of every year, celebrate your legal right to love a person of any race.

Some of you may have seen my diary at Daily Kos, Married 19 years this August. Activist judges to blame. I have to say, I'm really blown away by the response to it. At the moment, it is still on the recommended list (that almost *never* happens for me at Kos), but I wanted to make sure I linked to it so that people reading this post could still find the diary even once it has dropped. Not only was it amazing to see such an overwhelmingly positive response, but it was great to see so many Dean people show up to comment on that diary--including some names I haven't seen in a very long time.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment