Friday, March 03, 2006

Connectedness is our natural state

I'm sure Demetrius wasn't expecting this comment of his to be "frontpaged", but I thought it was worth highlighting. Plus, he's not home right now, and I am. Heh. --Renee

Roots of altruism show in babies' helping hands

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer Thu Mar 2, 4:16 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Oops, the scientist dropped his clothespin. Not to worry - a wobbly toddler raced to help, eagerly handing it back. The simple experiment shows the capacity for altruism emerges as early as 18 months of age.

Toddlers' endearing desire to help out actually signals fairly sophisticated brain development, and is a trait of interest to anthropologists trying to tease out the evolutionary roots of altruism and cooperation.

I think babies have to *learn* the concept of agency. Every memory they have early on is of perfect connectedness with those around them. Before birth they are warm and safe and nourished. They are (literally) connected to other people. After birth, they remain very connected - as is necessary for their very survival - to other people. (Mommy and I are one.) *Not* being one with a larger "community" is a new concept to learn. But, we learn it. And, I think the enlightened eventually try to *unlearn* it.

Mommy and I are one


Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment