Sunday, February 12, 2006

Howard Dean: Promises Kept


You've given me enormous responsibility, but it's a responsibility that we share. We can change the party, but only by working together and competing in all 50 states and territories. We can change the party, but only by working together and becoming a national party again. We can change this party, but only by working together at the local level, because if we want to win nationally we have to start by winning locally.

Howard Dean, February 12, 2005

Howard Dean campaigned for the chairmanship of the Democratic National Committee with the same energy, enthusiasm, creativity, and self-confidence that he brought to his campaign for the 2004 presidential nomination. And in retrospect, I believe no other candidate could have done what Howard has been able to achieve in just one year.

In one year, Howard has instilled a renewed spirit and energy to the party that hasn't existed for a very long time. His efforts have positioned the party to be competitive in the 2006 mid-term elections. He is keeping every promise he made during his campaign to head the DNC. He's brought insight and innovation to rejuvenate the grassroots, made a commitment to party community, and focusing on the future.

I would be remiss if I did not recap some of Howard's main accomplishments from the previous year:

  • Raising more than $51 million in 2005 - a record for a non-election year.
  • Traveling to 34 states and territories, while raising $1 million for the states.
  • Launching Democracy Bonds to help fund his 50-state strategy - there are now more than 30,000 monthly donors.
  • Hiring party organizers in 43 states to reinforce the party infrastructure.
  • Investing $7 million to elect Jon Corzine and Tim Kaine governors of New Jersey and Virginia, respectively.
  • Speaking forthrightly about the party and its values.

I didn't know how difficult it would be to put into words what Howard as DNC chair means to me, yet I do know this: I have a voice now because I can say that there is someone in the Democratic Party who speaks for me. I've always called myself a Democrat but never felt any reason to contribute money. Now I do. I've been in Washington, D.C., for 20 years with a ringside seat at this circus called politics. Only now can I say there is someone who I support without hesistation.

Rather than focusing only on short-term goals Howard is leading the party to a better future by refusing to just manage what exists, having a vision for something that does not yet exist, and inspiring people to make it happen.

If you've been inspired by Howard or better yet, moved to act, please show your support for Howard's stewardship of the Democratic Party by donating to the DNC through our bat. Any amount is appreciated: it can be a nice, round number like $20 or a symbolic one, like $20.06 or $20.12. Or make a long-term commitment by purchasing a Democracy Bond. Either way, you can help Howard continue the important work he has set out to do.

Image hosting by Photobucket


Alternate link to comment

    No comments:

    Post a Comment