Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day in America

Post by Jim Dean at 1:32 p.m.
Labor Day in America

For the last several years, newspaper content on Labor Day has been all about the decline of organized labor and the union movement. We add our thoughts about our nation's business and political leaders who no longer respect the culture or capital of work in general. Employee costs are routinely used as excuses for company management failures and mass layoffs have become routine every time a company stock price declines a few points. Stewardship is not longer part of the culture of conduct among our business leaders. Senior management pay and perks have never been more excessive. They are continuously rewarded for incompetence and too often retain their jobs under circumstances that most of us would be fired for.

Read the rest here.
---
Diaries of interest:
Why FEMA turned away help by Ducktape
The Lies & Depraved Indifference of Republicans by Maryscott OConnor
Crooks and Liars now has the video of Celine Dion's Crying Plea on Larry King's special Saturday "How You Can Help". She attacked the U.S.'s war in Iraq and the government's response to Katrina. She was visibly upset over the plight of the victims of the Hurricane, but Larry in the middle of it asks her if she'll sing a song. I know she was probably supposed to be there to sing, but come on Larry. She sang a prayer.

Demand Animals’ Safe Evacuation by susanhu

Urgent: Tell Your Federal Representatives to Demand Animals’ Safe Evacuation From New Orleans!

As always, please share articles or events of interest by posting them in the comments, or by emailing them to renee at bmgbiz.net. I may include them in an upcoming post. Also, if you would like to submit a guest entry, you can contact me at that same address.

12 comments:

  1. Well shoot. I came back to post what I thought was an interesting diary and Renee beat me to it with a link to Jim's Labor Day essay.

    I'll post it here and maybe later I'll repost it to the main page because it's interesting about our media and the elephant in the room.

    By the Numbers: In Katrina’s Wake, Race and Class Largely Ignored

    “That’s the big elephant in the room: the race and economic class of most of the victims, which the media hasn’t discussed much at all.”
    – Jack Cafferty, CNN, 9/1/05


    ThinkProgress has conducted a review of transcripts from the three major cable news networks over a full week — Saturday, Auguest 28 to Saturday, September 3 — for coverage of the race and class issues exposed in Katrina’s wake. The data demonstrates (sic) clearly that all three networks are still, to a greater or lesser extent, ignoring the “elephant in the room.”

    The Findings, By the Numbers

    Ok. Now to celebrate my Labor Day by getting back to work.

    Later, taters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just add it to the main post, crediting you for pointing it out in the comments--unless you prefer to do it as a stand-alone entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to do it as a stand alone entry. You had some really good additional links in yours, like MSOC's diary and I didn't want to make your diary overlong by adding yet another link.

    I'll come back and do it later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must read Chairman Jim's essay. From what Renee posted, it looks like he's absolutely right, as usual.

    I just had something of a shock. My mother was inveighing against the gov. "She's horrible."

    "Her name is Blanco," I said weakly.

    "No, no. she's horrible."

    "Her _name_ is Blanco!"

    "No, no. She's horrible and incompetent. And, the mayor hates her."

    Frankly, I was shaken. I mean, I know about Richardson's attempt to help. I have the impression Blanco's doing all she can, considering her hands have been pretty tightly tied. I expect garbage like this from my dad. But, for my mother and sister to buy it is most distressing. Guess the Repugs' plot is already beginning to work, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I do is ask for specific examples when my mother goes on a similar tear.

    When she was visiting last fall, she went off about how the Democrats were blocking Bush's efforts to reform Social Security and didn't have a plan of their own to offer. So I just said to her, so what kind of plan is Bush offering on Social Security, knowing full well she didn't have a clue.

    She changed the subject. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fine, Corinne--you can do the post later. I'm trying to help my son with his homework crisis at the moment, so I'll probably be offline for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Corinne, I'll try that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flipping back and forth between here and the big blog, where there's a fair amount of activity for a holiday weekend. A whole lot of anger too.

    I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it till you all get sick of it. We must use this oppertunity. We must sweep out not only the NeoCons, but also the NeoCon wannabes and DLC types. Come on, guys, if we can't get our act together to do it now, we'll never do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The boys are asking to use the computer so I'm going to be posting a new entry before logging off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the heads-up, corinne. I'm in stress reduction mode right now, so I'm looking at some silly stuff online. Just found the "Family Guy Freakn' Blog"
    http://blog.familyguy.com/
    (or click)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get a load of Arkansas. Does this look like a good model for what the Feds should be doing?

    http://www.kare.arkansas.gov/

    ReplyDelete