Monday, September 05, 2005

It's Official: Chief Justice Roberts

In news that was really no surprise to me, Bush has nominated Judge John G. Roberts to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Knowing the administration, we should not be surprised that Roberts was nominated with an eye to succeeding Rehnquist when he eventually lost his battle against thyroid cancer. After all, Roberts once clerked for Rehnquist and would perpetuate Rehnquist's conservative viewpoint.

I can only imagine what Justice Scalia might be thinking right now. I always thought his ambition was to become Chief Justice someday. "All that time I spent in a duck blind with Dick Cheney--wasted."

I'm sure the hearings will be delayed given this new development. Bush, however, is calling for him to be appointed before the Court reconvenes on October 3. While yesterday's Washington Post was saying red state Democrats were leaning toward confirming Roberts, I hope this encourages Democrats like Pat Leahy to slow the train down.

Nothing like some news to distract from the massive government failure to act in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Failures like this:

Hurricane Center Director Tells Paper He Briefed Brown and Chertoff on Danger of Severe Flooding -- Editor & Publisher, Sept. 4, 2005

NEW YORK Dr. Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center, told the Times-Picayune Sunday afternoon that officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security, including FEMA Director Mike Brown and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, listened in on electronic briefings given by his staff in advance of Hurricane Katrina slamming Louisiana and Mississippi--and were advised of the storm’s potential deadly effects."

Mayfield said the strength of the storm and the potential disaster it could bring were made clear during both the briefings and in formal advisories, which warned of a storm surge capable of overtopping levees in New Orleans and winds strong enough to blow out windows of high-rise buildings," the paper reported. "He said the briefings included information on expected wind speed, storm surge, rainfall and the potential for tornados to accompany the storm as it came ashore.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Geez, Bush is such a jerk. (See, your analysis is better written than mine would have been!)

    I need to leave for the gym in a bit--with Demetrius up on the roof again today, and me having to stay in the house, with both kids, in case he needs anything--I'd better start my day by destressing with some water aerobics.

    Later today, when I get a chance, I will have to try to figure out what happened to the blogroll that had links to our individual blogs and diaries. Right now I can't even log into blogger to check the code and see any obvious problem.

    In case he doesn't repost, I wanted to mention that Oscar's cartoon roundup is in the comments of the previous thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Renee. I was trying to marshal my thoughts with one child on either side of me: "I want waffles for breakfast." "Can we go to the pool today?" "Can I have a yogurt while I'm waiting for you to make my waffles?"

    Fortunately for me, the kids & spouse are leaving the house to do a few errands, then go to the movies to see "Sky High" again. I have a story due next week and haven't started writing it yet. And since I'm committed to go to ShrineMont on the 16th for the weekend, I kinda need to get something done.

    But I'll be back--blogging is a nice procrastinary diversion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Sky High with my daughter recently--we enjoyed it.

    Couldn't do water aerobics--long story--so I took one of the dogs for a walk. Demetrius is about to go back up on the roof. I get to help son do homework. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

    ReplyDelete