Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Dealing with "comment spam"

Before I forget, this morning's post by Tara Liloia over at Blog for America is entitled Patient Dumping, and it went up at 10:06 a.m.

Last night I had actually shut down my computer, but (silly me) I peeked at this blog on my phone and discovered *three* pieces of comment spam. That was going to bug me when I was trying to go to sleep, so I decided to just start the dang thing back up and delete the comments. And, having gone to that trouble, changed the settings so that only registered users (people with a Blogger account) could post. I knew that wouldn't stop all of the junk posts (some of the spammers have Blogger accounts) but the other option was to turn on "word verification". I was concerned about accessibility issues with that option, but as of this morning I have temporarily turned that on to see how it works for people. I have also changed the settings so that people without Blogger accounts can still post here, because, as puddle noted:

Rats, Renee. I do understand, but this way, without being able to blog as "other," there's no easy way to put clicky links in. Although having seen what a blog spammer can do to a comment thread, it sure is up to you. ♥s

We'll have to see how the word verification works out. So far, the few people who have said anything are saying they don't mind it, but if there are any people who can't read the word they need to type for verification, then I'd be excluding people, and I don't want to do that. If necessary, I will go back to just deleting the comment spam, but in that case I really will need more people helping with that.

In one of my posts last night, I wrote of this blog:

Well, whatever the reason for creating it, it's *here* now, and I'm glad. Having played midwife in bringing this baby blog into the world, I'm looking forward to watching it grow up. I also look forward to being *one* of the people who helps raise it, but I hope to be one of a number of caregivers who offer a variety of perspectives.

For some people, helping care for this blog may mean posting entries on the main page, as Oscar and Corinne have. For others, like Demetrius, who is busy enough these days that I wouldn't dream of asking him to take on the task of writing posts, it just means zapping the nasty comment spam when I can't get to it.

A couple more comments before I get to other work I need to be doing. First, if you're looking for Oscar's cartoon roundup, it can be found here at 9:14 a.m.

Secondly, I think we need a better, more creative name for this blog. I don't like that when you un-abbreviate it, the name is "Shadow Blog for America Blog". But mostly, I think we are creative, clever people who could do better.

7 comments:

  1. Renee --- have you taken note that some folks on the DFA blog are having trouble figuring out how to register on the shadow blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sleepless--that's one of the things I mentioned needing help with a while back. In the comments, I've noticed that people have been doing a good job filling each other in on how, starting from scratch, one creates a Blogger account. It would help tremendously if someone, or a couple someones, could put together a sort of FAQ on that. I could then post it somewhere that it would be readily findable.

    With Demetrius working hard to get the roof finished before it rains, that leaves a lot of other things for me to take care of around the house, not counting the end of the quarter stuff I still have to do for the class I teach. So I'm pretty much at my limit as far as what I can take on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee --- Thanks for all of your hard work getting this thing launched.

    Dave in Georgia --- Did you get temporarily booted off of DFA? And, if so, what do you have to do to get locked out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I don't want to get too involved talking about DFA's resident jackass here on the shadow blog because he thrives on all of the attention he gets everywhere he chooses to bloviate (and now he gets attention even when he is not blogging somewhere!) --- but, I was interested because I have not been hesitant to engage him --- in fact, I referred to him as a 'jackass' not that long ago and, as far as I can tell, I didn't get censored or booted.

    I would have thought your posts would have had to have been much more egregious than those two...

    Tara never even responded to my e-mail asking her to remove Mr. Oler from the DFA blog. He is a cancer, and, eventually, he will destroy that 'third' space of community. He is merely an antagonist/provocateur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,

    This is much friendlier than BFA.

    After all, "ass", "jerk", "jackass", "cancer" and accusing people of drunkenness so helps to build "community."

    Renee, you have the right to have your own blog. But if the goal is a friendlier community, then at least enforce those standards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich, you have better things to do with your time than serve as an advocate and apologist for Robert Oler.

    He is NOT a "victim". The "attacks" on him have been retaliatory for his attacks. Nobody ever attacked him without provocation.

    I know he's your friend, but just because you like him doesn't mean I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bite me, Rich. I'm effing tired, okay? My husband is going back up on the roof *again* tomorrow, and has to somehow get the work finished before the rain comes. I'm nervous that he's up there alone, and I'm frazzled trying to get everything else done that needs to be done. It's the end of the quarter and I've got lots of wrap up to do. We need groceries. Laundry needs to be done. Our daughter is turning 10 in two days and we haven't done anything for that. I'm trying to keep on top of the comment spam thing in a way that does not exlude people. I do not have one remaining iota of time or energy to devote to anything. The only thing I *have* deleted here has been the comment spam. I do not have big heaping piles of time for "moderating", but would certainly say something if there was an ongoing thing that was continuing over several threads. But for the most part things *have* been positive.

    Sorry you chose to step in when someone was venting. And sorry you decided it was important to come over here, when you have showed *nothing* but disdain for this whole project, just to quickly verify your suspicions and hurl sarcasm at me.

    In the comments here, I have gone on *at length* about what we are dealing with at home, and how important it was to me to get this blog online before school started for the kids, just so I would *have* a place where I could interact with my blog family without the *constant* contempt-filled come-backs.

    I didn't ask for Robert to be banned. I gave up on asking for him to be disciplined. I *built* a place that isn't hurting anyone. I know that if you or Robert or some others are around that I had better not post a link on BFA or I will get trashed. I saw your little dig about how you didn't get banned or start your own web site or whatever. Almost responded in the blog, but I *didn't*. Instead I went back to transcribing the Randi Rhodes interview with Howard--BECAUSE I THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A HELPFUL THING TO DO, AND THAT PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM HIM.

    But once again, thank you SO effing much for coming over here and spreading your contempt around.

    ReplyDelete