Sunday, April 30, 2006

Further thoughts on the National Day of Prayer

I crossposted What fresh hell is this? to a number of other blogs, including the Buckeye State Blog. As part of the discussion that came from that post, I just added the following comment, which I may as well reproduce here...

...I do object strenuously to everything about the way the National Day of Prayer has been handled in recent years.

I frankly don't like the "under God" being in the Pledge. And this is coming from someone who, if money were no object, would start the discernment process (for studying for the priesthood) tomorrow. But I wouldn't fight to have those words taken out, because there are more important fish to fry.

Now, some people have come up with another way to mark the day, calling it the "National Day of Reason", but, I guess in my mind that seems more like a "sez you!" to the National Day of Prayer. When people feel overtly opposed, I think the tendency is to "dig in their heels" and resist. Anyway, that's why my response last year was to say that we should repurpose the day as a National Day of Inclusion.

If you look at that link, which points to a Kos diary, you'll see that there are groups in some cities that very intentionally plan events that are inclusive and diverse. I have yet to see such a thing in Ohio, though. The only "official" action item I found last year was this one in the Columbus Free Press.

Anyway, I'm all about that idea of having a positive response to the day--one that celebrates diversity in a spirit of inclusion. (I know, I sound like such a liberal.)



Checking back at the Free Press, although this is not stated as an alternate event, I have discovered that the local Faith Communities Uniting for Peace group--which gathers for Interfaith Prayers for Peace on the first Thursday of every month--is holding a Quaker worship service at noon on Thursday, May 4. So, that would work as an alternative, inclusive event for people in my area.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment