Friday, May 05, 2006

Why I had a voice mail call from MS Dick Durbin

By Holly J

Some of you may remember that I had blogged a couple of months ago that I had applied for a scholarship program to be trained as an "Illinois Women in Leadership" program. It is highly competitive program and after reading the resume of previous accepted applicants I was compelled to throw the form in the trash last 2 years.

Now some of you really think the Democratic Party is hopeless and I have to say I have been more than a little discouraged a few times. But I have really taken to heart Howard Dean's challenge to "take back America" and like him feel the best way to get America going is to work through and with the Democratic Party. I honestly believe the true Democratic values include the belief that "we all in this together" unlike the Republicans actions that "you are on your own." I truly believe that if anyone is left behind all of America is worse of for it.

Some of you have seen from my posts telling how I am DFA organizer, am active in my local party and even ran for park district commission. But I was not sure if I was ready to take it a step further. I decided to take the leap and filled out the application for the IWIL program.

After my name and address the form asked for high school accomplishments!!! High School Accomplishments, that was 35 years ago. Was I really supposed to write I went to anti-Viet Nam war rallies? Then it asked for professional organizations and degrees. Degrees - plural??? My degree in physical therapy was a far cry from a master's in political science or a law degree. OK maybe that I lived in a town of 2000 would impress them.

Fill it out and send it. My resume needed updating anyway because I have worked at Easter Seals for the last 25 years.

2 weeks ago I got a call telling me I was a finalist. The selection committee which included state legislators. leaders in the IL dem. Party and CEOs would interview me. 25 people would be interviewed and they would select 12. odds 50/50.

I decided that I better beef up on IL politics. Who was Governor, Lt Gov. Sec of state etc? I also researched the interviewees. I prefer to know who I am talking to.

It also just so happened that the IL Dem Women's convention was taking place. I couldn't pass up a weekend with my cool democratic women friends and get to eat in the Governor's mansion. OK, I am a little star struck with politicians. I blame Howard Dean for this.

Typical with my history of studying, I decided to wait to review the information for the interview the night before but first I had a banquet to go to. Little did I know that the interviewers would seek me out and ask me questions at the dinner. Not until I was halfway through the conversation did I realize that I was talking to an IL congresswoman and an interviewer. Once I realize it, I went numb, chocked and then got my composure back. A POP Quiz. I WAS NOT ready for the interview here. I didn't have my mind set and I hadn't finished studying yet. When she asked my about a local State rep I confidently answered her question not knowing if the answers were right.

The next day I had a 4 hour drive to Chicago in pouring rain and had to decide if I should get stuck in a oil spill on 355 or in construction on the Dan Ryan. Knowing Chicago I gave myself an extra hour. With mapquest in hand, I threaded my way through downtown Chicago, parked and walked 2 blocks to the UAW building. After trying 3 doors with the doorman watching me, the doorman stated, "Holly Johnson, take the elevator to the 6th floor."

Waiting to interview before me sat a woman in her early 20's. OK-at least they will remember me for being the oldest applicant. A very friendly professional woman led me into the room with 6 women sitting around a long executive table. "Holly, we have been looking forward to meeting you" Did that mean the woman from last night had warned them about me or that they were so glad because I was the last interview for the day?

I looked around the room, there sat the circuit clerk, over there was Asst. director of Dept of Registration and next to me was an IL Senator. -- Hookay.-- But I have to say I do love talking about myself and that is what they wanted to do for 20 minutes. The more I talked the more animated I got. What I lack in experience I make up for enthusiasm. The last question was. "Tell me 3 words to describe yourself." I have never thought about that before but I quickly came up with, energetic, motivator and compassionate. I quickly added. "Oh dear that Republicans have ruined that word." They laughed and the director of registry stated, "We are taking that word back".

Today on my way home from work, my cell phone kept giving this little annoying beep. I kept driving, At a stop light I pulled it out to try to figure out how to shut it up. I opened up the phone and it said I had a voice mail but I had no idear how to retrieve it! I could see the number and it was a Chicago area code and I DON'T have friends who call me from Chicago so I knew it must be the IWIL people. I shook the phone, I click around and I still had no luck in opening up the voice mall. The mystery of whether I was accepted into the program would have to wait until I called my daughter to find out how to get into my voice mail.

After carefully following my daughter's instructions and racking my brain for the password, I opened the mail. "Holly this is Loretta Durbin and I want to let you know that you have been accepted as a delegate into the IWIL program, congratulations.."

I was going to save this voice mail for prosperity put I punched 7 instead of 3 and the voice mail disappeared into cyberland!

For those of you that can't learn enough about the program that I am now a delegate for, here is the link
http://www.iwilinfo.org/

Thanks all for sharing in my joy!

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment