Sunday, December 11, 2005

Stumbling around the web


Just another interesting link I discovered through Stumbleupon and thought I'd share.

People who learn about the mantra naturally want to know what it means, and often ask for a translation into English or some other Western language. However, Om Mani Padme Hum can not really be translated into a simple phrase or even a few sentences.

All of the Dharma is based on Buddha's discovery that suffering is unnecessary: Like a disease, once we really face the fact that suffering exists, we can look more deeply and discover it's cause; and when we discover that the cause is dependent on certain conditions, we can explore the possibility of removing those conditions.

The site about the parrots I mentioned below is one I found via Stumbleupon, as are these
Jumping cats
NASA fakes moon landing
Astronomy picture of the day

Once you install the toolbar in your browser window, you sign up for a login, and then you click little checkboxes to indicate what sort of sites you'd be interested in seeing. Much of the time when I'm online I have a specific purpose in mind, but I find it fun and relaxing sometimes just to "wander around" the internet and see what's out there.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment