Friday, February 02, 2007

Another reason to keep the media accountable

From a diary I just linked in the comments. I'm running late, but this has to be said. Tyra Banks was subjected to headlines calling her things like "America's Next Top Waddle" due to pictures taken of her swimsuit while vacationing in Australia. Having retired from modeling, she is now 5'10 and 161 pounds. Nobody with those proportions could be described as "waddling", unless she was in actuality a giant duck. She responded, in part:

Luckily, I'm strong enough and I have a good enough support system," Banks, 33, says. "I love my Mama, and she has helped me to be a strong woman so I can overcome these kinds of attacks, but if I had a lower self-esteem, I would probably be starving myself right now. That's exactly what is happening to other women all over this country."
How many people (in the general populace) never heard that the Terri Shiavo, the right wing icon of the "right to life" last year, was in that coma as a result of her bulimia?

We can't just let it slide when the media does this. I know I do try to tune it out because there's only so much ugliness one can take. But we have to call media outlets whenever they use that kind of hate speech based on people's physical appearance. We have to do this for our daughters.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment