Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ohio 2nd: Paul Hackett interview

Ohio 2nd blog has the audio of the first part of a "day after" interview with Paul Hackett. Some exerpts below.

Ohio 2nd: So walk me through--what happened? Last week we were at the opening of your Columbus office. It was a pretty good event.

Paul Hackett: The balance between the friction from within the party to keep me out of this and the impact on me and my family, I just succumbed to. I wish I could give you more politically tough stuff, but you know, it's a lot of force. And you know, walk a mile in my boots yesterday and the preceding weekend, it was awesome.

And I have to look at that, and I have to look at what that spells out for the remaining part of what would have been the primary, and the impact that would have on my staff and my family and on me. And on the Democratic party. I just said I'm not going to give every last ounce of measure of myself when it's no longer invited.

Ohio 2nd: What was the straw? Was it Harry Reid, getting the call from Harry Reid? Was it Tim Ryan, or--

Paul Hackett: It was an accumulation of these phone calls over the last week, and phone calls to donors and host donors across the country. And that in the context of the impact on my family and my personal life. And I just said, one, are we going to be able to be successful, and I came up with a question mark. And two, I asked, what is the cost to continue on, and I know that's a heavy cost. And that heavy cost in the face of the resistance from within the party, I said...no, I'm not going to do it any more.

And you know, look, I'm going to come out worse a month from now, the party's going to come out worse a month from now. The staff isn't going to be any better off a month from now or two months from now, and I said okay, I'll sit this one down.
...
I think that right now, we need to get through this, and let everybody's emotions and passions die down, and look at what we ulitmately need to accomplish. And, at least in my case, what we need to accomplish is defeating Mike DeWine. And statewide we need to accomplish getting a Democratic governor, and as many other Democrats statewide. And you're sitting right in front of me, but I'm not just lipping that for the sake of lipping it. I may not be saying it with the same level of enthusiasm that I sometimes voice my opinions, but I'm *literally* tired. I've *literally* been up all night.

Ohio 2nd: What do you say to all the people who just say "Screw the party" and "This is just typical Democrats, why should we support them when they don't support us?"

Paul Hackett: Ahhh, well, that's like what I *normally* say. That is an emotional decision, it's an emotional response, and we've got to get beyond that. I mean, look, forgive the football metaphor. There are countless offensive linemen who play football whose names the average observer doesn't know. But they play an integral role in the success or failure of a football team. So I would like to think in a worst case scenario that I and my team and those of us who shared this passion were at least an effective lineman. And we broke a hole through which others will pass through and be successful in 2006, which is ultimately what this is about, which is winning, for the Democratic cause and issues that we hold important. And whether I'm the guy who gets through, or Sherrod Brown gets through, provided that somebody gets through who shares our interests and values, that's what's ultimately important.

And look, I would be feeding you a line of bullshit if I told you that I don't feel pissed off right now at Sherrod and Chuck Schumer, but I've got more in common with them, at least in what I think is right and wrong in this world than I do with Mike DeWine, and his cronies. So, you know, I'm tired, and I'm a little bit pissed, but I'll be over both of those in a day or so. And, I did say it before and I'm saying it even today when I'm tired and a little bit pissed, that if there's something I can do that fits in my schedule, and I don't mean that as some sort of cryptic slam, I'll be happy to do it. But I'll also be honest and tell you, I'm looking forward to going back to my life. And I'm looking forward to coming home.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment