Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ohio 2nd: Paul Hackett interview, Part 2

Ohio 2nd blog now has the complete audio of the interview with Paul Hackett, as well as the audio from Hackett's interview on the Ed Schultz radio show. Here is part 2 of the transcript of the interview with Ohio 2nd, which took place this morning in Hackett's Ford truck, outside his campaign headquarters.

Ohio 2nd: Compare running for House and running for Senate.

Hackett: Well, you know the House is far less complicated logistics, far less time requirements, far less demands in all regards, monetarily, time wise, so forth.

Ohio 2nd: Did you enjoy it a lot more?

Hackett: Yeah, absolutely. No doubt.

Ohio 2nd: Talk about the primary, the Democrats. You've got Thor Jacobs, Gabby--

Hackett: Gabby, Vic and Jim Parker, of those, obviously the ones I know best are Vic, Thor and Jim Parker. I've heard of Gabby from Milford, I think she's a high school teacher. And I've heard there's other folks getting in. Here's my thought, I think that's important that they're in, and I think the process is well served by their participation, and I think that despite the chorus of people inviting me to get back in that race, or encouraging me to get in that race, I think my participation would be bad. I think it would be bad for the process, because that would deter future people from participating. Because they would see that I'm dampening down their spirit to fight, and I think their spirit to fight is more important than me coming back in.

You know, the regeneration, cultivation, and invitation of people to come into the process I think is preemintently important to the process, and to our eventual success. It's part of the cultivating of a bush league. And I have no idea if one of them will eventually defeat Jean Schmidt, but, then again, I didn't beat Jean Schmidt, and certainly nobody had any idea that I would have or we as a team would have the success however you may define that, in the special election. So, my message would be, let's get behind whomever you support, and then, whoever wins the primary, let's get behind them and give the same or greater level of effort that was given in the special election. And let's try to learn from our special election shortcomings and be successful this time.

Ohio 2nd: What did they put on the table for you to run in the 2nd?

Hackett: Absolutely nothing...absolutely nothing. What did they put on the table?

Ohio 2nd: The DCCC?

Hackett: Zero. I mean that most sincerely. The request was, "Get out of the Senate, to clear the Senate, and come back to the 2nd. And my response was, essentially, whatever I do, I cannot come back to the 2nd Congressional District, for the reasons I just articulated and also, more importantly to me the fact that I told specifically Jim Parker first, Thor Jacobs second, and Vic Wilson third, that I was not coming back into that race. And I'm not trying to create a cliche, or do anything other than the fact of being who I am, and that is, I will not go back on my word to them. And even to those who suggest, "Well, what if they get out, will you get in?" I say that's disingenuous and still bad for the process. Because if they were to get out, they would be getting out under duress and pressure--the same duress and pressure that got me out of the Senate race.

Let them have their primary. That is the process. (Laughing) How can I do to them what Sherrod Brown did to me? How can I do that, and then come out and lip the words "Stand by the process" or "I'm a man of my word"?

Look, people can call me a coward, people can say I'm really not a fighter all that they want to say. But in the final analysis, they cannot say I did not keep my word.

Ohio 2nd: They haven't actually said that to your face, right? This is in bulletin boards--

Hackett: (Laughing) I was up in the middle of the night last night! I couldn't sleep and I read Kos, and I saw the whole spectrum of comments, none of which, including those that flatter me, truly appreciate what is involved in this process. And, you can say what you want, it is...it's a pressure cooker. And if somebody wants to come back and say "You should have stayed in this" or "You're a crybaby", because I saw all those comments, fine. Fine, maybe you're right. Maybe I underestimated it. Maybe I'm a human being. Maybe I've got a family. Maybe I am buckling to the pressure to return to my family and the good life that I've built. And, if that is your summation, I accept that. All I ask is, let me go back to my family, and live my life, and live my private life, and, if I can help in any way, I'm there, and would be willing to help. But understand my sincere commitment to the process and keeping my word. But I am not so committed to that that I feel I have to sacrifice who I am, and sacrifice my family in the process as well. What do you think about that?

Ohio 2nd: Agreed.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment