Monday, September 19, 2005

Arrrhh! It be "Talk Like a Pirate Day"!

Crossposted at My Left Wing, MyDD, and Daily Kos

Ever wish you could set sail on the tall ships?

Ever wish you could keel haul every scurvy dog on Capitol Hill?

Ever want to burst into your local Blockbuster and demand the latest releases, a stack of blank tapes and a couple of their finest VCRrrrr's?

If you answered "yes" you might have the makings of a fine pirate. Or, maybe you would just enjoy talking like one. You're in luck! Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day! Started by 2 guys some years ago and popularized in columns by Dave Barry, TLAP Day is a chance to shrug off workaday life for for the adventure of the high seas... or at least to inject some fun and nautical whimsy into your workaday life. So, gather up your mates! Buckle up your Cap'n Morgan boots. Cock your hat to a jaunty angle and join in singing the official TLAP Day shanty! And, after work? Flagons of grog 'til your timbers shiver! Arrr!!!

Most days are like all of the others,
Go to work, come back home, watch TV,
But, brother, if I had me druthers,
I'd chuck it and head out to sea,

For I dream of the skull and the crossbones,
I dream of the great day to come,
When I dump the mundane for the Old Spanish Main
And trade my computer for rum! ARRR!

T' me,
Yo, Ho, Yo, Ho,
It's "Talk Like A Pirate" Day!
When laptops are benches God gave us for wenches,
And a sail ain't a low price to pay!
When timbers are shivered and lillies are livered
And every last buckle is swashed,
We'll abandon our cars for a shipfull of ARRRs
And pound back the grog till we're sloshed. Yo ho ....

No comments:

Post a Comment