Monday, September 11, 2006

Compline

Here's the latest from puddle:

Hi ever body ~~ surviving. And hanging in. So's Edwin. He's an awful pretty peach color. Still hasn't said anything, or opened his eyes. If I were where he is, I don't think I would either. . . .


Love you all so much!

xox puddle
At my religious ed class tonight, we did a closing prayer which comes from an order of compline. The first time I remember saying a compline was at a retreat I attended last year at an Episcopal convent. (If you were unaware that there was such a thing as Episcopalian nuns, so was I until fairly recently.) But there was something very peaceful about gathering together at the end of the day and praying for people everywhere, especially, as I recall, those who work throughout the night, and those who have no one praying for them.

The words of tonight's closing prayer reminded me a little bit of that. It's from the Book of Common Prayer. I feel moved to share it, but also want to be sensitive to the diversity here. I've replaced the specific deity names with elipses, so that the reader can fill in a name or not.

Keep watch, ..., with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, ...; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

The "keep watch" part really made me think of what we've been doing here in recent days--that there is Something connecting us, even if we don't use the same words to describe that Something. In fact, the truth is that we are all connected, but we're not always aware of it. In the past few days, members of this community have been acutely aware of that connection.

But, whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever you believe or don't believe, there is always someone praying you through the night, sending you beams of love and comfort. I know for a fact that there's a group of Episcopalian nuns near Cincinnati doing that, but for all I know there are many, many more. And that sort of thing gives me hope. I'm just describing one example from the faith tradition I know best, but I'm sure people in all different traditions, all around the world do something like this. Intentionally taking time to recognize their connectedness to everyone, everywhere, and calling out to the Infinite to watch over people they have never met.




Here's that candle link again, for anyone who'd like to light or re-light a virtual candle for Edwin.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment