Sunday, September 25, 2005

See Ya NPR. Bye.

By donna in evanston. Crossposted at Daily Kos. You can go there and recommend it is you like. G'head--this blog will still be here when you get back.

I admit that I'll probably still listen when I'm getting ready for work. I've listened for so long that it's kind of like brushing my teeth as part of my morning routine. But they'll get no more bucks from me until they start reporting real news.

In keeping with "the media can only focus on one story at a time" meme, this morning's Weekend Edition was all Rita all the time, including a first person report from a woman who left her hurricane threatened Texas home along with her two elderly cats in tow, and scurried along to Mother's, where there was no rain and no hurricane; just a pleasant gust of wind once in a while.

So, what we're seeing here is that this Texan's two elderly cats, who were never in harms way, deserved more coverage than a hundreds of thousands of marchers rallying in Washington, DC.

The story of the march came in the second hour of the show, directly before the "Puzzle Master, Will Shorts." The story was brief, shallow, and made sure to cover the counter-ranting of the spindly group of counter-protesters while ignoring the meat of the anti-war protest. To be fair, they included a blip of Cindy Sheehan's speech. NPR gave more time to this tepid exhange between one counter-protester and an anti-war protester:

CP: "I was a Marine for ten years! I was a Marine for ten years. I don't have time for people like you!"

AWP: "Then leave!"

Yes, well that was enlightening, wasn't it?

Oh, and the cats are fine.
--donna in evanston
---
More and more, we have to look to alternative sources for our news--aren't you glad we have bloggers to fill in the parts the mainstream media overlooks? This is my attempt at a segue. Not one of my best, I'm afraid, but the kids keep distracting me. Really I just wanted to add a link to puddleriver's blog to this most recent entry, since she's got a report from Washington posted there.

Here's a link to Cindy Sheehan's diary about yesterday's rally/march. We're still welcoming more rally reports (with or without photos. Send them to howardempowered at gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment