Wednesday, July 04, 2012

The tree in our front yard

Since so many here are not on Facebook--and since Facebook has a way of making it really likely that you will miss the stuff you actually want to see, I thought I'd go ahead and post a few pictures here. (Demetrius still isn't done bundling the sticks up yet, and since he's seen evidence that some of the branches are being nibbled, presumably by termites, he would prefer to get them moved ASAP. Sadly, weather is predicted to remain in the 90s for the rest of the week.

Original view from the front of the house, right after the limb came down.


This is the second major limb we've lost on that tree. And neighbors were pointing out that another major limb looks to be not long for this world. The question is, if it does come down in our next big storm, where will it land? Demetrius doubts that it would actually land on the house, and, even if it did, homeowners' insurance would have to pay. Somehow I'm not completely reassured by that statement. Certainly, even if house damage could be repaired without out of pocket costs, there is the matter of the life upheaval that would be involved.

The positive side to all of this is that, upon seeing Demetrius hard at work trying to cut some of the branches down to size, a number of neighbors came by and offered the use of their more efficient, effective tools. Some provided hands-on help. So this kind of reaffirmed my faith in humanity a bit.

Here are a couple of "after" pictures (after hour upon hour of sweaty, grueling work).




Anyway, we have hot weather and storms predicted for a few more days. I really hope we don't lose power again. That sucked in a pretty major way.

14 comments:

  1. You're not stepping on anyone's toes, Renee. You tell your arborist to be careful, eh? That looks like a job for a chain saw (used with great caution). I don't even want to think how much work it would be by hand, much less what high temperatures and humidity would do to make matters even less tolerable. Do you have a fireplace where you can make use of the wood once it dries?

    It's turning pretty warm here again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Renee. As to your post, YIKES! Yes, do please tell Demetrius to be careful!

    Alan, Chris Isaak's latest album, Beyond the Sun is a tribute to the Sun record label. It includes a couple of originals, but mostly standards/oldies. That's probably a good intro to his music. That is, if you like Roy Orbison, early Elvis and the like, you'll probably like Beyond the Sun.

    He isn't someone I would ordinarily listen to, but Sis likes him so I get a lot of exposure. I preferred her Harry Conic Jr. phase, through her teens and twenties, because Harry's thing is Swing and Jazz, much more to my natural inclinations. But Isaak has grown on me. At the concert I found myself singing along with several songs. Quite a lot of people sang along, actually, which is just as well. *wry grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I got a request on my YouTube channel - fortunately, one I was able to fulfill - for a particular song from Finian's Rainbow.

    And I have fifty subscribers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, listener. It's not much in the grand scheme, but it pleases me.

      Delete
  4. Renee ~ Great to hear the neighbours came through!
    Tidy job, too!

    And as I always say, post away!

    I'm grateful when anyone does, especially lately, as my computer has been full to capacity and unable to accept my severa full digital photo disks. So I'be been taking photos with my iPhone and sending ONE at a time to post.
    On Thursday, however, I will get my computer back from my son with a new 1000gig drive in it!! Whoo hoo!

    It sure will be nice to have puddle back!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thousand gigs? You're way ahead of me, listener.

      It sure will be nice to have Puddle back! I'm quite concerned about her.

      Delete
    2. puddle is aok, just waiting for her "electric" to be fixed and turned back on, allegedly today.

      Delete
  5. BTW, on the theme of the thread...

    We got a nice soaking overnight, and early evening today an impressive line of storms paraded through. Our barbecue with family and friends went fine, but son and family took a long time getting home due to so many trees down. Wild!

    Mother Nature provided our fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW the LHC found the Higgs (sp?) boson.

    ReplyDelete