Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Where have we heard this before?

This morning I posted that I officially joined the Episcopal Church three years ago on Ash Wednesday. I've posted more about that connection in an essay at Booman Tribune (crossposted at My Left Wing and ePluribus Media). Not going to repost the whole thing here, but I thought people might be interested in what Rev. Susan Russell had to say about the current situation in the Anglican Communion. Even if you're not Episcopalian, I bet some of this sounds a bit familiar to you...

...From my perspective, the American Episcopal Church has now been very strategically and very intentionally painted into a corner by those in the American church who have been advocating for a schism for many years.

And we're now faced with what I would call a Sophie's choice of having to choose our vision of the inclusive gospel over our inclusion in the communion. It's a profoundly un-Anglican way to make decisions, given that historically we have been a people of God who have not required common belief in order to be in communion with each other.

So I think the greater challenge we face has much less to do with gay and lesbian people or bishops or blessings, but how we're going to be church together. I think that is really under attack by the radical religious right, who is willing to split this church if they can't recreate it in their own image...
Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment