Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Net Neutrality for Dummies/Open Thread

On June 28 I posted "Anglicanism for Dummies", prefacing it with...

For anyone not familiar with the "Idiot's Guide to--" and the "for Dummies" series of books, they both capitalize on the peoples' desire for an unintimidating introduction to a topic they admittedly know *nothing* about. If you pick up a book with a title like that, you can trust that you will be introduced to the topic, whatever it is, without any assumption on the writer's part that you know *anything* about the subject at hand.

I would need an Idiot's Guide to Understanding How Football Games Work, for example. That is, if I was interested in learning, that is, which I'm not. But then, I don't *pretend* to know how football games work, or how poker is played, or whatever--while insisting on debating those topics with people and expecting my views to be seen as just as valid as the so-called "experts".


That said, I am not writing a post explaining net neutrality. I *need* such a post. Anyone have any good bottom line, quick explanations of what that's about?

Some odds and ends:

Thanks, Oscar, for sharing this link with us:

Lieberman's Real Problem By Harold Meyerson

Dave in Illinois notest that Riverbend has a new post, and her view from the ground in Iraq isn't as rosy as Lieberman's take on things.

Further updates to the affiliates page.

I set up a dedicated thread for people going to DeanFest, to check in with each other about arrival times and whatnot. Also, Demetrius and I set up this moblog back in December. We never actually used it to post pictures of our little Deaniac get-together in Chicago, but the page is still online and available for posting pictures from DeanFest. I've shared the details about posting with TeaTimeTim, who has agreed to pass it along to other DeanFest attendees .

Barack Obama did an interview with Pastor Dan at Street Prophets, and he has a front page post at Blog for America, asking for support for Sheldon Whitehouse for Senate.

I've been adding some links to the blogroll at my Religious Left Blog. If you have any suggestions for blogs I should add, please leave me a comment there.

Vermonter has a diary at MyDD about a Vermont Bloggers BBQ.

Finally, reminding everyone that you are welcome to submit a guest blog by e-mailing howardempowered(at)gmail.com. Or if you'd like to be a regular frontpage poster, let me know, and I can send you a Blogger invite.

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment