Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Bumper Sticker War

A few days ago a woman came up to me and told me how glad she was to read the bumper stickers on my truck. I have a lot of them. On magnets. "Hatred is not a family value", "Born okay the first time", "If Conservatives are so patriotic, why do they keep sending our jobs overseas?" and many more.


She epitomized the reason I have those stickers on my truck. Living in Ohio, a state that has been ruled and trashed by Republicans, can make a non-Republican feel alone and invisible. When you feel alone and invisible you're less inclined to take action. Who would notice? What good would it do?



That woman (and several others who've spoken to me) now know they are *not* alone. Isn't that the very thing that drew most of us to Howard Dean? Hearing someone articulate what we had privately thought? Knowing we weren't alone after all?


I've been lucky....no broken windows, not keyed yet....mainly, I think, because I'm a small senior citizen. People see me driving that great big truck and figure it must belong to my radical husband. Maybe they even feel sorry for me.


Any action you take, no matter how small, has its effect. You may not always get feedback, but keep fighting. If nothing else, it will make you feel better. I feel like an amazon warrior driving that truck! In your face, neocons!



SusanD

Alternate link for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment